Linked Article: The Government Has Enough Money To End Poverty In Sheffield

Taken from Nowthen magazine  - full article linked below.

"The government has enough money to end absolute poverty in Sheffield if it wanted to. They could also end poverty in every other part of the UK in a matter of months, if the political will was there. They can afford it."

https://nowthenmagazine.com/articles/government-has-enough-money-to-end-poverty-in-sheffield-mmt-modern-monetary-theory

My title is a bit clumsy, it should read "The government has enough money to end poverty in Sheffield – it just chooses not to" But I was limited to the amount of characters I could use in a title!

It's a really interesting and thought provoking article. Anyone reading it and thinking 'this can't be true' should remember that in 2007-8 we all discovered that money is not real and that money that was thought / believed / assumed to exist while we decided it did, did not exist after we decided it didn't. Which highlights that the 'lack' of money (which doesn't exist, remember) can't be the reason for not being able to do things. In fact, the concept of money is a barrier to doing things.

Edited by Delbow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Why Sheffield? Loads of other places feeling the pinch.

There wasn't enough character space to get the title I needed with a quote from the source. If you'd read my post rather than just the title you would have seen the following: (and it's a cracking read - the linked full article) 

Taken from Nowthen magazine  - full article linked below.

"The government has enough money to end absolute poverty in Sheffield if it wanted to. They could also end poverty in every other part of the UK in a matter of months, if the political will was there. They can afford it."

https://nowthenmagazine.com/articles/government-has-enough-money-to-end-poverty-in-sheffield-mmt-modern-monetary-theory

6 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Why Sheffield? Loads of other places feeling the pinch.

The poster said that in the next sentence.

Quote:  "They could also end poverty in every other part of the UK in a matter of months, if the political will was there. They can afford it".

Only skim read the article but seems the writer and the original book he cribbed from both have the economics of a 5-year-old child.

Yes let's just create more money out of thin air. Let's just print more notes and give everyone £1m.  Budgets are just a big myth to keep the poles in their place blah blah.   

Why didn't no one think of that before. What could possibly go wrong 🙄

I note the article's author describes himself as a "storyteller and civic journalist". Well he's a storyteller alright.......  Bloody fairy tales. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Only skim read the article but seems the writer and the original book he cribbed from both have the economics of a 5-year-old child.

Yes let's just create more money out of thin air. Let's just print more notes and give everyone £1m.  Budgets are just a big myth to keep the poles in their place blah blah.   

Why didn't no one think of that before. What could possibly go wrong 🙄

I note the article's author describes himself as a "storyteller and civic journalist". Well he's a storyteller alright.......  Bloody fairy tales. 

Just out of interest, what was the name of the "original book" that you say the author of the post  "cribbed from"