New Floating Sculpture Artwork Proposed For Sheffield & Tinsley Canal

57 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Why?

Why it's looks someone spent a bit too much time in Bankers Draft . What with ' Hanging Gardens of Moorfoot' what's next the Pyramids of Page Hall  or maybe the Colossus of Tom Hunt? 

14 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

Why it's looks someone spent a bit too much time in Bankers Draft . What with ' Hanging Gardens of Moorfoot' what's next the Pyramids of Page Hall  or maybe the Colossus of Tom Hunt? 

What's wrong with it though?

It looks quite good and creative to me - plus very symbolic of the area in multiple ways. Clever.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Tinsley is in Sheffield. So why is it called the Sheffield & Tinsley canal?

Well it was opened in 1819, when Sheffield and Tinsley were very much separate places.
Screenshot taken from an 1830 ish map

Though that only seems to call it Sheffield Canal, with Tinsley Locks
See also https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/sheffield-and-tinsley-canal

image_2024-03-15_020728068.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Tinsley is in Sheffield. So why is it called the Sheffield & Tinsley canal?

Good morning Irene.

That whole area was in fact Hallam. 

Sheffield, as we know it now, is made up of so many hamlets  i.e., Highfields, Low-fields, Crooks, etc, etc, etc.

I have more trouble when talking to someone who tells me they're  from Sheffield, and then tell me they live in one of the outlying areas :huh:.

See if I can upset a few on here 😀 'Beighton' isn't Sheffield its 'Beighton'. I'm sure there can't be many who live in places like Woodhouse (Wudhuss) and don't emphasise Woodhose before they mention the word 'Sheffield'.

(That's my London Rd (Highfields upbringing) rant over with) :blush:.

Keep safe out there,

Rocker 8)

As @peak4 says, the canal opened in 1819 linking the town of Sheffield with Tinsley.  From Tinsley the river Don(sometimes written as Dun) was made navigable (the Don Navigation) and the combination of the river and canal made it possible for goods to be brought into the town.  Sheffield was not a city until 1898.

• Like 1