Mouse Seen In Harvester Meadowhall

We live in an old stone 2 foot thick walled cottage and get them regularly, but particularly at harvest time when they are driven out of the fields and when it’s freezing outside.

Catch them in a humane trap and take them on a drive before being released.

We’ve even caught a couple of shrews over the years. They can flatten their bodies to get through the most small of gaps. 
They’ve been known to pop up on the raised hearth and skip across it, turn around and go back again. It’s quite amusing to watch.
Once caught one in a traditional trap and when I got downstairs it was running round the living room with its tail caught in the trap. Now there’s a tale it could no doubt tell its pals.😃

echo

Spoiler
Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Kitchens should have intact walls and doors with no gaps (steel plates are placed at the bottom of wooden doors to stop rodents chewing through). You can get drain pipe covers as well. There must be some other ways of making them secure. Modern buildings like Saint Paul's don't seem* to have this problem.

Making a building mice proof is difficult but not impossible....but all it takes is for a staff member to go outside and leave a door open, maybe the staff carrying something out etc and they will be in....if there is an attraction for them such as food left about, on the floor etc which is all down to bad housekeeping .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, echo beach said:

We live in an old stone 2 foot thick walled cottage and get them regularly, but particularly at harvest time when they are driven out of the fields and when it’s freezing outside.

Catch them in a humane trap and take them on a drive before being released.

We’ve even caught a couple of shrews over the years. They can flatten their bodies to get through the most small of gaps. 
They’ve been known to pop up on the raised hearth and skip across it, turn around and go back again. It’s quite amusing to watch.
Once caught one in a traditional trap and when I got downstairs it was running round the living room with its tail caught in the trap. Now there’s a tale it could no doubt tell its pals.😃

echo

Hide contents
  Reveal spoiler

I once had them in my kitchen Echo,

So I set up the traditional trap, next morning the cheese had gone, but the trap hadn't activated..

This went on for about a week, and I was puzzled, in fact I was that puzzled I decided to quietly sit in the kitchen and wait for the mouse appearing.

I set the trap as lightly as I could, in fact my wife dropped a fork on the floor and the trap activated.

Anyway I sat there patiently waiting, and at about 1am 2 mice appeared.

The crafty buggers,

One of the mice held the spring down, while the other one swiped the cheese..  🐭 🐭

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Padders said:

I once had them in my kitchen Echo,

So I set up the traditional trap, next morning the cheese had gone, but the trap hadn't activated..

This went on for about a week, and I was puzzled, in fact I was that puzzled I decided to quietly sit in the kitchen and wait for the mouse appearing.

I set the trap as lightly as I could, in fact my wife dropped a fork on the floor and the trap activated.

Anyway I sat there patiently waiting, and at about 1am 2 mice appeared.

The crafty buggers,

One of the mice held the spring down, while the other one swiped the cheese..  🐭 🐭

We bough ours a home  gym for Christmas

Rat clipart trap, Rat trap Transparent FREE for download on ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1