A Wild Night In With Grace Johnson Of Hedgehog Street

Sheffield Forum is pleased to support Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust, a local charity that looks after 15 local nature reserves (plus a nature-friendly farm), advocates for nature and wildlife, and has the ambition to see 30% of land and water great for nature by 2030.

The Trust is holding an online event on the evening of Thursday, 21st March, and it would be great if you could join in - celebrating cute little hedgehogs(!) and what you can do to help reverse the recent declines in the hedgehog population.

spacer.png

Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust are delighted to host a Wild Night In with Grace Johnson from Hedgehog Street on Thursday 21st March at 7pm on Zoom.

Hedgehogs are an iconic British species, frequently topping polls of our favourite wildlife species. But sadly they have struggled in recent decades as a result of human activity. Habitat loss and fragmentation are just two of the many threats hedgehogs face.

Data from various surveys have revealed insights into urban and rural populations, with a more positive picture emerging in our urban and suburban landscape.

As our gardens and green spaces become an increasingly important stronghold for hedgehogs, engaging communities in hedgehog conservation is key to reversing declines and securing a sustainable future for the species.

In this webinar we’ll hear all about the ecology and behaviour of hedgehogs, and most importantly, what we can all do to help them.

Hedgehog Street is a partnership project between the People’s Trust for Endangered Species (PTES) and the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS).

Tickets are Free with a £3 suggested donation and must be booked in advance.

TICKETS: https://www.wildsheffield.com/event/a-wild-night-in-with-grace-johnson-hedgehog-street/ 

https---cdn.evbuc.com-images-701024769-343455875779-1-original.20240220-134602.jpeg.15fc98cb97b47266cd7bc39907281722.jpeg

(Image: Tom Marshall)

Thank you so much for your kind donations to attend this event. As a charity your support really does make a difference. From protecting wildlife, to helping people connect with nature and each other, every contribution helps.

29 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

No obligation to have your camera or mic active - you can just sit back and enjoy the talk (the Trust have had some awesome talks over the last few years).

I know, I regularly attend a variety of similar Zoom talks, wildlife trust(s) and our local field club.

I'd recommend this talk from one of my neighbours coming up next month.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/a-wild-night-in-with-mark-cocker-naturalist-and-author-tickets-861387472117?aff=efbevent

He also writes for The Grauniad, in A Country Diary

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peak4 said:

I know, I regularly attend a variety of similar Zoom talks, wildlife trust(s) and our local field club.

I'd recommend this talk from one of my neighbours coming up next month.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/a-wild-night-in-with-mark-cocker-naturalist-and-author-tickets-861387472117?aff=efbevent

He also writes for The Grauniad, in A Country Diary

Yes, indeed! Looking forward to that one too. 👍

I've moved loads of hedgehogs to pastures greener when railway developments took there course had boxes full and released them in the countryside away from traffic 😳 

14 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

Apparently the new style fences separating gardens is what's killing hedgehogs off. They can't get between gardens, so have to go around the front onto the road and get run over.

You can now by the concrete panels with a small square cut out so they can get through.