Knock It Down!

14 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Tarmac

Tarmac????? thought it was Longdons,   But A builder only goes on the plans he is given , not responsable for design for any planning or defects that occur due the plans provided .

That stand must have accommodated hundreds of thousands of fans before the disaster.

Perhaps not the best design in hindsight but far from the worst facilities that I have experienced over the years.

I was at that match  in the South Stand and left after about 20 minutes when it became apparent that a disaster was unfolding rather than just another example of crowd trouble.

In my opinion the big change was the wire netting fences that had been erected to prevent fans going on to the pitch.

Had that not been in place I believe that many would have escaped the crush.

Hopefully we live and learn.

13 minutes ago, RJRB said:

That stand must have accommodated hundreds of thousands of fans before the disaster.

Perhaps not the best design in hindsight but far from the worst facilities that I have experienced over the years.

I was at that match  in the South Stand and left after about 20 minutes when it became apparent that a disaster was unfolding rather than just another example of crowd trouble.

In my opinion the big change was the wire netting fences that had been erected to prevent fans going on to the pitch.

Had that not been in place I believe that many would have escaped the crush.

Hopefully we live and learn.

While everyone will agree the stand does need flattening I agree with the fencing statement, the death toll would of been far less. They were as much to blame as the design of the stand. 

I'm not sure it will ever be replaced in my lifetime though.

53 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Tarmac????? thought it was Longdons,   But A builder only goes on the plans he is given , not responsable for design for any planning or defects that occur due the plans provided .

I think Longdens built the cantilever stand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Brilliant stand that is .

When it was first built I watched matches at the Spion Kop end, think they were the cheapest tickets.

As you say, it was brilliant at that time.

I can still remember them days, it was awesome back then.

1 minute ago, Padders said:

When it was first built I watched matches at the Spion Kop end, think they were the cheapest tickets.

As you say, it was brilliant at that time.

I can still remember them days, it was awesome back then.

The Engineering is unbelievable ,  Viewing it from Penistone Road it looks really impressive , And no a column in sight to spoils any ones view .   List it .

• Like 1