Protest In Waitrose, Ecclesall Road

11 hours ago, crookesey said:

Find out the Chief Constable’s home address and start a peaceful protest outside it, I wager that it wouldn’t last very long. 😉

*Some typos and lack of clarity in my last post, and I couldn't edit it*

(jesting aside)

The protesters should be complaining to the top (Waitrose bosses)!!

Why should I have to go and protest about the protesters? How could I? 

not to mention would be a waste of time, because the Chief Constanble isn't responsible for Britain's problems. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pfifes said:

Yes this ⬆️100%

And contrary to what they think it won’t ‘raise awareness’ to gain support.  It just annoys people and if anything turns them against supporting the cause.  I know a few people that got so annoyed about the road block protesters in Sheffield a few years ago they stopped using the bus to commute and drove instead.  I’m not defending that but the fact of the matter is that type of reaction is a lot more common than the protesters like to think.  

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

And yet here we are talking about it in a thread that the disruption has generated.

It doesn't really matter whether you agree with them or not, it has made people stop and think.

Awareness has been raised, and publicity increased.

From little acorns....

‘Raising awareness’ is not about people ramming their opinions on to others.  Not least because it can lose more support than it gains as I mentioned in my previous reply I’ve copied again.  In fact in the example of climate change protesters with the road blocks I can’t think of anyone I know whose ‘awareness was raised’ in such a way that reduced driving or was told anything they didn’t already know.  It did hack plenty of people off though and turned a few away from their cause and reinforced negative stereotypes and perceptions about the people involved in these protests.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

*Some typos and lack of clarity in my last post, and I couldn't edit it*

(jesting aside)

The protesters should be complaining to the top (Waitrose bosses)!!

Why should I have to go and protest about the protesters? How could I? 

not to mention would be a waste of time, because the Chief Constanble isn't responsible for Britain's problems. 

This is it.  They ought to go and protest outside Waitrose’s head office instead of scaring grannies doing their shopping.  But I suppose the latter is the easy option for bully tactics. 

• Like 3

Well at least we live in a country where we can protest, however protesting doesn’t mean stopping folk from doing something that is legally allowed just because they disagree with it. I hate protesters that think it is fine to block my right of way in order to make their point.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh right you mean similar to this one from early Feb... 

https://www.facebook.com/535920588/videos/1181059989531312/

If it is that.  It looks to me like its a bunch of busybody elderly people causing a nuisance and intimidation to their fellow elderly people. 

My bold. 

Now, now, everyone has the right to peaceful & legal protest but I do get what you mean. 

I wasn't down that way Saturday morning but usually when one of these Palestinian protests are taking place, the meeting point in our area is the corner of Moncrieffe Rd., at Nether Edge while waiting to catch the 56 into the city. 

There's usually a small gathering of approx 8 to 10, average 60+, mainly women, (only ever seen one man), a placard or two, some with Palestinian flags drapped over shoulders.   All white, all very middle class, all very polite as you'd expect from Nether Edge residents.   

I'm surmising here but I'll take a punt & say retired lecturers & social workers in the main & during the week, 'ladies who lunch'.  I will guarantee though that having protested outside Waitrose yesterday, today like me, they'll be shopping in there for their quinoa, Himalayan pink salt & perhaps their Israeli dates. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

And yet here we are talking about it in a thread that the disruption has generated.

It doesn't really matter whether you agree with them or not, it has made people stop and think.

Awareness has been raised, and publicity increased.

From little acorns....

my thoughts/reaction was they should be at home with their cats and resting those varicose veins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Now, now, everyone has the right to peaceful & legal protest but I do get what you mean. 

I wasn't down that way Saturday morning but usually when one of these Palestinian protests are taking place, the meeting point in our area is the corner of Moncrieffe Rd., at Nether Edge while waiting to catch the 56 into the city. 

There's usually a small gathering of approx 8 to 10, average 60+, mainly women, (only ever seen one man), a placard or two, some with Palestinian flags drapped over shoulders.   All white, all very middle class, all very polite as you'd expect from Nether Edge residents.   

I'm surmising here but I'll take a punt & say retired lecturers & social workers in the main & during the week, 'ladies who lunch'.  I will guarantee though that having protested outside Waitrose yesterday, today like me, they'll be shopping in there for their quinoa, Himalayan pink salt & perhaps their Israeli dates. 

Exactly! Same saddo nether edgers with nothing else to do… need to get a life . Recall being confronted by them way before the current situation at Waitrose and had to run over one old gits foot with mi trolley

• Like 2

What a bunch of snowflake bedwetters there are on this thread.

Well done the protesters for bringing it out in you all.

What do we want - Protests, when do we want 'em - Now.

• Like 1

Was in the store when protesters were there, more tuneful song and less annoying than Xmas carol singers I had seen in Waitrose previously. I walked round the group of protesters outside, one lady stopped shouting as I did so which was good 👍  they seemed alright to me.

10 hours ago, Man in Crete said:

Exactly! Same saddo nether edgers with nothing else to do… need to get a life . Recall being confronted by them way before the current situation at Waitrose and had to run over one old gits foot with mi trolley

Yjey have a list 😱