More And More Businesses Have Minimal Human Contact

13 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Don't worry.  Life has a way of balancing itself out.  At some point, one of those 20 year olds will want a fuse changing & they'll be clamouring for 60+ year old. 

Or one of those 20 years olds would just use their smartphone to look up how to change a fuse on the internet or watch one of the 1001 YouTube videos giving them a step by step demonstration.

30 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Usage of the App is now rapidly increasing, so in just a few years time we might see the majority of self-serve screens removed in favour of giving over more space for people to sit and just order from their phones to their table

The majority of people in Wetherspoons Pubs seem to sit at the table ordering  food and drinks on their phone using their app.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Or one of those 20 years olds would just use their smartphone to look up how to change a fuse on the internet or watch one of the 1001 YouTube videos giving them a step by step demonstration.

And when the Internet's down as well.  See I can just be as pedantic! 

You know exactly what I'm getting at in my response to despritdan. 

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

If and when the entire internet goes down there will be much bigger problems to worry about than just changing a fuse.

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

Table service in pubs is long overdue.

Theres quite a few in Sheffield starting to do it now.

Yep that I do agree with. Especially if there is a group of you. Much more civilised than all trying to cram around the bar or annoy other patrons by someone going up and ordering 8 meals and 16 drinks.  

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

The majority of people in Wetherspoons Pubs seem to sit at the table ordering  food and drinks on their phone using their app.

Wetherspoons might have an app but you'll still end up waiting as they never have enough staff on in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

And when you forget your bank card, you have to pay with cash at the bar.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

If that's the case then how come Amazon with its almost zero interaction with a human being is making billions of pounds out of millions and millions of customers every day whereas department stores with their friendly person behind the counter and hands on customer service and great levels of expert advice in store are becoming almost extinct.

Where are all these 'normal people' with their great resistance and push back against automation and self-service then?

Of course normal people would rather deal with a human being. In fact I cannot remember ever having talked to anyone (face to face...) who says "I prefer dealing with a machine". Even those who do actually use the automated outlets generally only do so because there is a queue for the manned checkout.

The best proof is this.....

We used the QANTAS check in at Sydney airport  few weeks ago.

The check in had to be done at a machine, there was no option to use a desk. A good proportion of the passengers did not know how to use the machines and thus there were queues at all of them. We needed to get one of the harassed QANTAS staff to help us, as did many other people.

But that was not the end of the purgatory, for the first time ever we were forced to use an automated luggage check in. An even higher proportion of passengers were having problems with that, including some regular QANTAS fliers. 

The whole thing took far longer than it should have done and was FAR more stressful.

But here's the thing, over on Business class the passengers were being checked in by real people......

Thus proving beyond any doubt, that people (normal people at any rate) want to deal with people not machines

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Of course normal people would rather deal with a human being. In fact I cannot remember ever having talked to anyone (face to face...) who says "I prefer dealing with a machine". Even those who do actually use the automated outlets generally only do so because there is a queue for the manned checkout.

The best proof is this.....

We used the QANTAS check in at Sydney airport  few weeks ago.

The check in had to be done at a machine, there was no option to use a desk. A good proportion of the passengers did not know how to use the machines and thus there were queues at all of them. We needed to get one of the harassed QANTAS staff to help us, as did many other people.

But that was not the end of the purgatory, for the first time ever we were forced to use an automated luggage check in. An even higher proportion of passengers were having problems with that, including some regular QANTAS fliers. 

The whole thing took far longer than it should have done and was FAR more stressful.

But here's the thing, over on Business class the passengers were being checked in by real people......

Thus proving beyond any doubt, that people (normal people at any rate) want to deal with people not machines

No. All it proves is exactly what I said in my earlier posts. If people want personal hands on  service, it's still available - they just need to be prepared to pay for it.

Those business class passengers will be paying thousands of pounds more for their tickets than your lot in economy so expect something in return.  

You still haven't explain why the minimal human interaction Amazon is so popular and absolutely decimating the in-person bricks and mortar retail.  Like I said, where are all these 'normal people' you claim are so desperate for human service. Why are they not shopping in store anymore?

• Like 2