More And More Businesses Have Minimal Human Contact

An example of how a 'machine' can be better than a human:

I would never expect a 'human' to know, nor would I expect to know the quickest/cheapest way to get from London to Sheffield  this Sunday. As there is no direct service there are a dozen permutations and only one flexible/under three hours/under thirty pounds.

I can and do buy split tickets at the station but I would not ask them to provide a range from which to choose.

I also do not need to provide a copy of NRCoT to prove the validity of a journey when buying a combination of tickets.

The staff at Sheffield are very good but they cannot be expected to know all the ins and outs of travel and ticketing.

On the other hand a Sheffield  machine cannot sell me a Derbyshire Wayfarer bus and train rover from where it is valid, but the one in Bridlington can( so can Meadowhall) but you cannot use it from either.

We cannot do without either and I would choose a provider that offers face to face human support but not necessarily use.

I am the customer and I want........ otherwise I will.... . Fill in the blanks.

The more we come to rely on a AI and the internet, the more tempting it will be for unscrupulous  governments to attempt to close it down and leave us crippled and helpless.

IMO This is how / where future conflicts will be fought.

39 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The more we come to rely on a AI and the internet, the more tempting it will be for unscrupulous  governments to attempt to close it down and leave us crippled and helpless.

More like you will get a call from one of your children to borrow £100 and it will be AI mimicing their voice or text number

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

More like you will get a call from one of your children to borrow £100 and it will be AI mimicing their voice or text number

True. Scams are legion, and all the easier to pull off with AI. We really have made a rod for our own backs.

In response to Annie, machines are sometimes better than people, but by the same measure people are often better than machines, it depends on the situation.

Neither do I dismiss human qualities like intuition and natural instinct, although they can't necessarily be measured in a Lab, and for that reason may well be ignored. No machine can reproduce that but I think are essential to the human experience and we ignore them to our peril...  

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

you mean rather than disprupting out power, food, gas, water, internet, mobile signals that they could do now?

• Like 1