22 March: A New Chapter For Supertram

5 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Indeed. Just like someone taking over a local online forum should be given time too... 🤣

@SheffieldForum- have I ever said you shouldn't have the time? I think not.

As to the tram situation - no one is to 'blame' for the issues, but as said previously, Stagecoach quite often got the 'blame' for situations outside their control.

Not been on the tram under new ownership but used it frequently before and I can not remember the last time I had a inspector check my ticket 

I am curious to know how they calculate the fare evasion as it is not as simple as it sounds. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Supertram Claims Improvements and Achievements Since March 2024

Since the transition to public ownership, Supertram has already achieved notable successes:

• Increased Passenger Journeys: Passenger journeys have risen by 4.5% compared to the same period last year, indicating growing confidence and satisfaction among users.
  • Reduced Fare Evasion: Fare evasion has been dramatically reduced to less than 0.4% of journeys, down from previous highs of up to 8%. This improvement has been driven by a push to encourage ticket pre-purchasing via the Travel South Yorkshire (TSY) app, targeted efforts to address ticketless travel hotspots, and the introduction of new handheld ticketing machines for conductors.
  • Travel South Yorkshire App Success: The TSY app has been downloaded 20,000 times, with over 40,000 tickets purchased through the platform since its launch. The app’s upcoming journey planning feature will further enhance its utility, allowing users to plan journeys, view live departures, buy tickets, and save favourite routes with improved search functionality.
  • Peak Time Tram Trials: A trial for increasing tram frequency during peak times on key routes has been introduced, helping to ease commuter congestion and improve travel times.

Future Developments on the Horizon

Looking ahead, the Supertram network is set to expand and improve further. A new Park and Ride facility and link road at Rotherham Parkgate is expected to open later this year, providing more convenient travel options for commuters. Additionally, a new tram train station and Park and Ride at Magna is scheduled to open in 2025, further extending the network’s reach and accessibility.

South Yorkshire's Mayor, Oliver Coppard, is optimistic about the future of Supertram and the wider transport network in the region. “After 27 years, South Yorkshire’s Supertram came back under our control in March. Now, just over four months on, we are making huge strides in our journey back to a public transport system that puts people first, connects our communities, and helps us to build a bigger and better economy in South Yorkshire,” he said.

Coppard emphasised that these developments are just the beginning of a broader vision for a fully integrated transport system. “This is just the start of our journey to a truly integrated transport network that connects all our communities to the huge opportunities that exist right across South Yorkshire,” he added.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There 's been a huge improvement in the cheerfulness of the crews, and very welcome too, but the service isn't so reliable, but I suspect that's a lot to do with repairs.

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

Since the transition to public ownership, Supertram has already achieved notable successes:

• Increased Passenger Journeys: Passenger journeys have risen by 4.5% compared to the same period last year, indicating growing confidence and satisfaction among users.
  • Reduced Fare Evasion: Fare evasion has been dramatically reduced to less than 0.4% of journeys, down from previous highs of up to 8%. This improvement has been driven by a push to encourage ticket pre-purchasing via the Travel South Yorkshire (TSY) app, targeted efforts to address ticketless travel hotspots, and the introduction of new handheld ticketing machines for conductors.
  • Travel South Yorkshire App Success: The TSY app has been downloaded 20,000 times, with over 40,000 tickets purchased through the platform since its launch. The app’s upcoming journey planning feature will further enhance its utility, allowing users to plan journeys, view live departures, buy tickets, and save favourite routes with improved search functionality.
  • Peak Time Tram Trials: A trial for increasing tram frequency during peak times on key routes has been introduced, helping to ease commuter congestion and improve travel times.

Looking ahead, the Supertram network is set to expand and improve further. A new Park and Ride facility and link road at Rotherham Parkgate is expected to open later this year, providing more convenient travel options for commuters. Additionally, a new tram train station and Park and Ride at Magna is scheduled to open in 2025, further extending the network’s reach and accessibility.

South Yorkshire's Mayor, Oliver Coppard, is optimistic about the future of Supertram and the wider transport network in the region. “After 27 years, South Yorkshire’s Supertram came back under our control in March. Now, just over four months on, we are making huge strides in our journey back to a public transport system that puts people first, connects our communities, and helps us to build a bigger and better economy in South Yorkshire,” he said.

Coppard emphasised that these developments are just the beginning of a broader vision for a fully integrated transport system. “This is just the start of our journey to a truly integrated transport network that connects all our communities to the huge opportunities that exist right across South Yorkshire,” he added.

its a press release 99% bias  https://www.southyorkshire-ca.gov.uk/news/article/f10ea34a-4457-4fff-a752-9bb07b306152

these aren't trustworthy articles, they are inflated ego trips "look at me" aren't I fabulous vanity pieces.

Shocked Snow White GIF by Travis

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Passenger Journeys may be up 4.5% on last year for the period but still down on pre-pandemic. Its a natural increase based on more people returning to work in offices 

Reduced fare evasion - Cant be measured. They have no idea who jumps off and on in city centre without paying. i note they use the "previous high" of 8% instead of last years reported figures

TSY app success - Even though Coppard let it get developed then decided he didnt want it..........................

4 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Passenger Journeys may be up 4.5% on last year for the period but still down on pre-pandemic. Its a natural increase based on more people returning to work in offices 

Is that in line with statistics relating to people returning to work over the last year? What is the percentage increase for that?

What has the increase in car, bike, bus use been over the same period?

52 minutes ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

its a press release 99% bias  https://www.southyorkshire-ca.gov.uk/news/article/f10ea34a-4457-4fff-a752-9bb07b306152

these aren't trustworthy articles, they are inflated ego trips "look at me" aren't I fabulous vanity pieces.

Shocked Snow White GIF by Travis

Statistics are statistics though - and whilst, yes, they can be interpreted in different ways a public body like SYMCA is always open to scrutiny and FOI requests, so I would suggest they'd be pretty accurate. I can't see them lying about it, it would be far easier to just not refer to them, or to not do a press release at all than lie.

9 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Reduced fare evasion - Cant be measured. They have no idea who jumps off and on in city centre without paying. i note they use the "previous high" of 8% instead of last years reported figures

Maybe it can't be measured 100%, but thety are obviously measuring something regarding fare evasion And hopefully the comparisons are like-for-like of that something.

• Like 1

I would imagine our fare evasion is lower than say Manchester where its been so bad they have a large presence of inspectors jumping on and off trams every day to catch people.  This is mainly due to not having the ability to purchase on the tram itself as I found to my cost just the other week!