22 March: A New Chapter For Supertram

4 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Is that in line with statistics relating to people returning to work over the last year? What is the percentage increase for that?

What has the increase in car, bike, bus use been over the same period?

Thats very defensive and challenging

But since you asked........

Car use - https://roadtraffic.dft.gov.uk/local-authorities/159#:~:text=1.74 billion vehicle miles were travelled on roads in Sheffield in 2023. Steady increase year on year since lockdown and  near 5% growth  from 22-23.

Bus journeys - up 10% from 2022-23 in south yorkshire https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/bus-statistics-data-tables#quarterly-bus-fares-statistics (table Bus 01e but all others indicate a 10% minimum increase)

Bike - Cant find measurements but lets be honest a miniscule number of users in comparison to car and public transport

People returning to work instead of remote workng cannot be measured but it is noticeable that a lot of sites were reporting that workers were going back and the likes of THG, Tesco, Asos, Barclays, Boots, The civil service, Deustch Bank, etc were implementing return to office practices or increasing the number of days that staff were required to work "in the office".  So its a logical assumption that more people coming back to work  non-remotely woudl increase a footfall

Defensive and challenging?! Think you're projecting there!

I asked a couple of simple, perfectly fair questions. It's hard to know if the increase can be attributed to people returning to work without looking at the other factors I mentioned. Since you put that forward as argument I not unfairly assumed you had all of that detail to hand, so asked for it? And it looks like you did, so, great 👌

Is that explanation ok, sir?

Not that I necessarily agree with your point, of course. Even with those statistics, there are still a large number of variables that impact all of the figures given in different ways.

• 2 weeks later...

just seen this latest update. Given that the new "ownership" has done virtually  zero from the perspective of the customer then claiming credit for any increase in ridership is madness although I do not doubt the increase  (I don't think the new ticket machines the conductors have will have made a difference and  the extra trams were introduced midway into the period). Some of the bus replacement services have been badly planned from a consumer point of view

Whilst it is possible to measure fare evasion I have little confidence that the figures quoted are on the basis of accurate scientific research although I would be more than happy to look at the methodology and results and provide a more robust comment 

2 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

just seen this latest update. Given that the new "ownership" has done virtually  zero from the perspective of the customer then claiming credit for any increase in ridership is madness although I do not doubt the increase  (I don't think the new ticket machines the conductors have will have made a difference and  the extra trams were introduced midway into the period). Some of the bus replacement services have been badly planned from a consumer point of view

Whilst it is possible to measure fare evasion I have little confidence that the figures quoted are on the basis of accurate scientific research although I would be more than happy to look at the methodology and results and provide a more robust comment 

Come on man , they jet washed all the paving at the Tram stops ( didn’t really need too ) .

18 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Come on man , they jet washed all the paving at the Tram stops ( didn’t really need too ) .

I missed that perhaps because I was away for 7 weeks that explains the increase!!