Cycles In Sheffield

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Once again, no point in having a law, even if you think it's trivial, if you're not going to enforce it. 

Using The Moor as an example, SCC have basically turned the area from around the Town Hall / Pinstone St into a cycle lane & then you have the continuation right down Charter Row.  Right, get some signs up at the top & bottom of The Moor, (SCC love a good sign), 'No bicycles permitted, cyclists must dismount (unless you're 5 or under). 

The enforcement could be carried out by those City Ambassadors I see aimlessly walking about on The Moor or a few PCSO' s.  It'd only take a few dozen fines for it to register with errant cyclists. 

The most dangerous these days are those guys on the food delivery electric bikes travelling even up The Moor at excessive speed. 

I was intentionally being a little sarcastic. I agree that SCC have made the city centre more 'cycle-friendly' - to the detriment of pedestrians in places - and I think the current signage/road markings are sufficient, but as you say there is a hard-core section of cyclists that have no regard for anyone elses safety/convenience. It is only a small  section, but like motorists who break similar rules, they tar the rest of their fraternity.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Right, get some signs up at the top & bottom of The Moor, (SCC love a good sign), 'No bicycles permitted, cyclists must dismount (unless you're 5 or under). 

The enforcement could be carried out by those City Ambassadors I see aimlessly walking about on The Moor or a few PCSO' s.  It'd only take a few dozen fines for it to register with errant cyclists. 

The most dangerous these days are those guys on the food delivery electric bikes travelling even up The Moor at excessive speed. 

Enforcement against cycling on the footway has to be done by the Police

TBH most of the "cycles" I see tearing around the city centre are illegal e-bikes. Either home-brew built with unregulated chinese kits or legitimate e-bikes that have been illegally modified. Both exceeding the power/speed limitation regulations. 

They're very easy to spot, the rider generally has a takeaway delivery rucksack on their back. 

But as is the norm now in South Yorkshire, crimes are ignored by SYP if it means getting out of the car/van....

Edited by Resident
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Enforcement against cycling on the footway has to be done by the Police

We all know that's not going to happen then!

• Like 1

Given the dangerous, inconsiderate and arrogant driving on the roads, I think cyclists should be given the benefit of the doubt and be allowed to use pavements at their discretion.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Given the dangerous, inconsiderate and arrogant driving on the roads, I think cyclists should be given the benefit of the doubt and be allowed to use pavements at their discretion.

And be just as dangerous, inconsiderate and arrogant towards pedestrians, presumably?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

And be just as dangerous, inconsiderate and arrogant towards pedestrians, presumably?

Hardly. Between 2005 and 2018, 548 pedestrians on pavements were killed by vehicles.

Of the 548, 6 were killed by cyclists.

31 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Hardly. Between 2005 and 2018, 548 pedestrians on pavements were killed by vehicles.

Meaningless. Just because only 6 were killed that doesn't mean many MANY  cyclists dont behave arrogantly and very entitled on the roads and the paths. Jumping red lights,  weaving across the whole lane, deliberately slowing traffic, being verbally aggressive to other road users and pedestrians. Many are an absolute menace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Cyclists make up around 1.3% of non-motorway road traffic during the timeframe you mention. Using the statistics in the way you have is disingenous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1