Cycles In Sheffield

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

I believe you may be confusing the rollout of moving traffic enforcement with pavement parking.

Central government are allowing councils in England to enforce moving traffic offences like box junctions and banned turns, but pavement parking is not included.

The Local Government Association, which represents local authorities has recently called for pavement parking powers to be rolled out to councils in England. See this article.

The government have talked about doing it for years but so far haven’t taken any action.

Commercial Street and Suffolk Street both had pavement parking issues that were constantly complained about. Initially SCC put concrete blocks to prevent "Anti-social parking" (as the sign said on the blocks). 

When I enquired I was told that this was a temporary measure until proper enforcement powers were granted. A few weeks later there were new signs up prohibiting parking on the pavement in these locations. 

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Commercial Street and Suffolk Street both had pavement parking issues that were constantly complained about. Initially SCC put concrete blocks to prevent "Anti-social parking" (as the sign said on the blocks). 

When I enquired I was told that this was a temporary measure until proper enforcement powers were granted. A few weeks later there were new signs up prohibiting parking on the pavement in these locations. 

Those were a case of the council introducing a traffic regulation order to prohibit parking in those locations. This is within their existing powers but does mean that appropriate signing has to be put up on the footway at regular intervals in the specific location if they want to enforce it.

What is being sought from central government is the power to have a general prohibition of pavement parking in a particular area ( say the city centre) and there being specific signs / markings to indicate areas where it IS permitted. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Another person complaining about dangerous cyclists in central Sheffield.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ggv0y7jxpo

Councillor Ben Miskell, chair of transport, regeneration and climate at Sheffield City Council, said: "We want streets to feel safe and welcoming for everyone and we’re transforming the city centre to make it a place that everyone can feel proud of.  Sheffield is a city built on seven hills and has the potential to be the e-bike capital of the UK.

"However, e-bikes that have been modified to assist a cyclist above 15.5mph are illegal and are causing problems in towns and cities across the UK." 

Clearly two issues here.  Cyclists on illegal e-bikes & cyclists riding where they shouldn't be.  

If cyclists want to get from the top of The Moor to the bottom, there's a perfectly good cycle path down Charter Row or they can use the road itself. 

If Coun. Maskell wants to make streets safe, get some "No cycling" signs up on places like The Moor. 

If the authorities want to clamp down on illegal e-bikes, I suggest they start by taking at the bikes  of all the fast food delivery riders who congregate at the junction of High St / York St. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/03/2024 at 13:21, Annie Bynnol said:

Since when has it been legal to block cycle lanes with parked and queuing cars?

There is no requirement to use cycle lanes.

As I've said before two wrongs don't make a right.