It would be a bit hypocritical to go on TV asking for others to donate if they didn't - and I suggest they give to Water Aid as I see the same ad which has been on for years,

surely it has been noticed yet they haven't received help for one of life's basic needs.

• Like 1

Perhaps the appeals are also directed at the vast number of people who fall between being poor and are not multi millionaires.

I would rather celebrities use their popularity to publicise worthwhile causes than trying to flog us some insurance (with a free pen) or a funeral plan!

I gave a donation online to "Guide dogs for the blind", some 18 months to two years ago, almost every week since then I get a letter from them, presumably asking for more, I no long bother to open them. (but it taught me a lesson, about giving my details to a charity)

I tried to donate to the "RNLI" a couple of weeks ago, but the website wouldn't let me, unless I filled in their online form, name address, e/mail etc. I didn't donate.

There are only three charities I will donate to now -

Smile Train

Bluebell wood

Médecins Sans Frontières

4 minutes ago, aardvark6535 said:

I gave a donation online to "Guide dogs for the blind", some 18 months to two years ago, almost every week since then I get a letter from them, presumably asking for more, I no long bother to open them. (but it taught me a lesson, about giving my details to a charity)

I tried to donate to the "RNLI" a couple of weeks ago, but the website wouldn't let me, unless I filled in their online form, name address, e/mail etc. I didn't donate.

Smile Train

Bluebell wood

Médecins Sans Frontières

Yes, charities spoil it for themselves by being too greedy and too picky.

This is my favourite Bob Geldoff controversy..

During mid-November 2008, a local for-profit organisation, Diversity@Work, invited Geldof to Melbourne, to speak about Third World poverty and the failure of governments to combat the crisis. It was later revealed that he was paid $100,000 for his speech, which included a luxury hotel room and first-class airfares.

Complete and utter fraud, still he will be counting his millions ( 200, reportedly) whilst lapping it up at his massive mansion in Faversham, Davington Priory valued at 1.8 million.

He must really really really care about famine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, aardvark6535 said:

Smile Train

Bluebell wood

Médecins Sans Frontières

I used to donate to the Fred Hollows Foundation who do free cataract operations for the needy in the third world. Every once in a while I'd receive a phonecall from them asking me If I'd increase the amount of my monthly donation. They didn't like to take no for an answer. It used to really annoy me. I didn't increase. 

4 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Multi millionaires on TV asking poor people for money to feed poor people.   Tossssers

How much do you think they are paid to do the advert?

Some of them might do it for nowt, you can bet others will want their usual rate.

5 hours ago, aardvark6535 said:

Smile Train

Bluebell wood

Médecins Sans Frontières

I gave a cheque to the WWF for £10 a long time ago,  they wrote to my bank for my address and I was inundated with all sorts of leaflets,  never again.