National Health Service

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

If true (because Daily Mail).   A perfect example of waste, incompetence and mismanagement from the NHS I describe.    Putting aside the obvious self infliction from the family and the patient herself,  how the hell did things get that far.  How on earth did they 'sneak in' Fish and Chips and Buckets of Fried Chicken to a clearly critically obese patient on a hospital ward.   Nobody noticed?  Nobody actually monitored and checked when they ran their tests?   Did none of the clinicians involved up to and during the peeing away of £10k on a gastric band stop to think that this patient clearly has a mental health problem and may need to be referred for either detention or psychological treatment to top her self harming via overeating?     Did none of the services check on the wider family, about her lifestyle and who was providing this bed bound woman with all this food which may have been bordering abuse?   

Madness. 

Too busy doing Tiktok videos.

Just now, Anna B said:

It's called nursing. Or caring. Or making people feel valued. 

Healing begins in the mind with a desire to get better. Make the patient feel like a nuisance or worse still blame them for their illness, and they won't get well, or at best it will take much longer. 

Certainly some people choose to abuse their bodies, but a great many serious illnesses are the product of faulty genetics, accidents and bad luck, but I'm thinking particularlyof old people who fall ill because their bodies are wearing out. so they end up in hospital and deserve a little kindness.

No doubt you think that once they have outlived their usefulness they should lie down and die 'and reduce the surplus population...'

I am not denying that.   If you read my post, I made it clear that the NHS should be providing core clinical treatments and emergency services.  Looking after the disabled, natural cause illness, elderly fragility and palliative care is part of that core clinical treatment.  

What I am not agreeing with is propping up the serial abusers, self harmers, malingerers, timewasters, dangerous activities, lifestyle choices....    Anna,  SOME patients are a nuisance.   SOME patients deserve to be blamed for their own conditions (even more so why they ignore the previous advice/treatment/refuse services offered).    SOME patients should be made to pay when they overuse and abuse the service.   SOME patients are more than capable and should be taking responsibility for nursing and caring for themselves instead of sitting on their backsides expecting the state to pick up the tab.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's called nursing. Or caring. Or making people feel valued. 

Healing begins in the mind with a desire to get better. Make the patient feel like a nuisance or worse still blame them for their illness, and they won't get well, or at best it will take much longer. 

Certainly some people choose to abuse their bodies, but a great many serious illnesses are the product of faulty genetics, accidents and bad luck, but I'm thinking particularly of old people who fall ill because their bodies are wearing out. so they end up in hospital and deserve a little kindness.

No doubt you think that once they have outlived their usefulness they should lie down and die 'and reduce the surplus population...'

and those are the ones that would be better cared for if the others were not abusing  NHS resources

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

They spent £5,000 a week for 6 months at the priory so clearly gave her 5 star treatment 

Ah yes. overlooked that line.  So again a perfect example of waste.  Use the Priory rather than send her to the £5m Mental Health Care Department that the Mid and South Essex Trust had at their disposal. 

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ah yes. overlooked that line.  So again a perfect example of waste.  Use the Priory rather than send her to the £5m Mental Health Care Department that the Mid and South Essex Trust had at their disposal. 

its also the smaller issues with the NHS wasting money.

i don't  get annoyed at being  cancelled the morning of my hospital physio appointment as my physio phoned in sick these things happen, but to be sent 2 letters by post  (same) letter stating the cancelled appointment, dated the day after original appointment

date,  is also a waste. I'd already agreed a new appointment and had  an email confirming it. that annoys me. NHS wastes a lot like that, i once had 12 duplicate letters arrive on the same day.