To Many People .

13 minutes ago, m williamson said:

That would depend on how much logic and reasoning you are capable of. A few means three or more, which means that your ancestors who  left France were about nine generations ago, which means they constituted approximately one of a thousand of your ancestors at that time.  https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~pamonval/genealogy/howbig.html

Going on your previous contributions to the forum it wouldn't surprise me if you came to the conclusion that you are half French.

On the other hand, being somewhat more down to earth I base my claim to be half English and half Irish on the fact that one of my parents was English and the other one was Irish.

As each of them provided me with 50% of my DNA it seems logical to me.

Yes , very logical :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, m williamson said:

That would depend on how much logic and reasoning you are capable of. A few means three or more, which means that your ancestors who  left France were about nine generations ago, which means they constituted approximately one of a thousand of your ancestors at that time.  https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~pamonval/genealogy/howbig.html

Going on your previous contributions to the forum it wouldn't surprise me if you came to the conclusion that you are half French.

On the other hand, being somewhat more down to earth I base my claim to be half English and half Irish on the fact that one of my parents was English and the other one was Irish.

As each of them provided me with 50% of my DNA it seems logical to me.

So are you English or Irish ,  When asked by say an American .

Getting further into this on my wife’s side we have Irish descendants,  The funny thing is on St Patrick’s day they suddenly become fully fledged Paddy’s , They are down Town begorrowin and beggarerin while supping Guinness in the tents that spring up on that day ,  They are two or three generations removed from the nearest Irish relative , never set foot in Ireland ,( I have as you know ). . 

Come St Judds day ,  Now’t not a pint of Stones touches their lips , As said it baffles me as does the cricket support for Pakistan or India by people born and bred here who would rather die than live in those Countries .

5 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

How do you mean the NHS would be worse off without immigrants?  I thought the NHS was in a complete mess at the moment, could that not be down to immigrant workers? Maybe their work ethic is different?

How many NHS staff are foreign nationals?   HoC Library
Most NHS staff in England are British, but around 19% are not. Around 265,000 out of 1.5 million staff reported a non-British nationality in June 2023, up from 220,000 a year earlier This amounts to nearly one in five of NHS staff with a known nationality.

Between them, these staff hold over 200 different nationalities. 122,000 are Asian nationals (8.6%), while Over 70,000 are EU nationals (5.2%).

Many of these folk will be first or second generation immigrants

New figures show NHS workforce most diverse it has ever been    NHS England

The NHS Workforce Race Equality Standard shows Black and minority ethnic (BME) staff make up almost a quarter of the workforce overall (24.2% or 383,706 staff) – an increase of 27,500 people since 2021 (22.4% of staff).

The analysis shows more than two fifths (42%) of doctors, dentists, and consultants, and almost a third (29.2%) of our nurses, midwives, and health visitors are from Black and minority ethnic backgrounds.

Lots of detail you can drill down into here

Migration and the health and care workforce ;Migration Observatory University of Oxford

The immigration system brought unprecedented numbers of overseas workers into the health and care workforce in 2022-3

The NHS in England has relied on a growing share of non-UK staff to increase the size of its clinical workforce
The share of overseas nationals among doctors, nurses and midwives in the NHS in England’s hospital and community health service workforce increased from a low of 15% of those with known nationality in September 2013 to 21% in September 2021.

Doctors were more likely to be non-UK or Irish nationals (30%) than nurses and health visitors (21%) or midwives (6%). The pattern in Wales is different: there, the share of non-EU workers has been broadly stable while the share of EU workers

Figures on nationality may understate the role of migrants in the health workforce because they may exclude some people who migrated to the UK had then become UK citizens 

Unfortunately we lost rather a lot of skilled & qualified  NHS staff a few years ago

More than 22,000 EU nationals have left NHS since Brexit referendum,   Independent, but many other sources

The numbers quitting the NHS increased by 21 per cent from 7,037 in 2015, the year before the referendum, to 8,540 the year after in 2017. While departures declined to 7,647 in 2018, the number remained 9 per cent above pre-referendum levels.

Mr Johnson’s pledge to increase nursing numbers by 50,000 is dependent on recruiting 12,000 new nurses from overseas.

Of which over 4000 were doctors

Brexit has worsened shortage of NHS doctors, analysis shows Guardian, but again other sources are available
More than 4,000 European medics have chosen not to work in NHS since Britain left EU, data reveals

2K doctors from India to plug UK's national health service shortage  Business Insider

11 hours ago, cuttsie said:

So are you English or Irish ,  When asked by say an American .

Getting further into this on my wife’s side we have Irish descendants,  The funny thing is on St Patrick’s day they suddenly become fully fledged Paddy’s , They are down Town begorrowin and beggarerin while supping Guinness in the tents that spring up on that day ,  They are two or three generations removed from the nearest Irish relative , never set foot in Ireland ,( I have as you know ). . 

Come St Judds day ,  Now’t not a pint of Stones touches their lips , As said it baffles me as does the cricket support for Pakistan or India by people born and bred here who would rather die than live in those Countries .

It doesn't matter who asks me I have never in my life claimed to be either English or Irish for the simple reason that I'm neither. On the occasions when I've been asked I've said Half English, Half Irish or to shorten it, Anglo-Irish.

I was born in Sheffield which means I'm British but I've only ever held an Irish Passport which I have since 1972 meaning that my nationality is Irish.

The reason that St Paddys Day is celebrated and St Georges isn't is because the Irish like a laugh and know how to have one and the English only have a big celebration when their Lords and Masters  the royal family instruct them to do so. Or at least that's the way it seems to me. 

4 minutes ago, m williamson said:

It doesn't matter who asks me I have never in my life claimed to be either English or Irish for the simple reason that I'm neither. On the occasions when I've been asked I've said Half English, Half Irish or to shorten it, Anglo-Irish.

I was born in Sheffield which means I'm British but I've only ever held an Irish Passport which I have since 1972 meaning that my nationality is Irish.

The reason that St Paddys Day is celebrated and St Georges isn't is because the Irish like a laugh and know how to have one and the English only have a big celebration when their Lords and Masters  the royal family instruct them to do so. Or at least that's the way it seems to me. 

Don't be silly.

In my experience the English are too busy trying  to stop the Irish kicking each other black and blue on St Paddy's day.

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Don't be silly.

In my experience the English are too busy trying  to stop the Irish kicking each other black and blue on St Paddy's day.

The Irish would have conquered the world if it wasn't for Guinness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Don't be silly.

What an utter load of bigoted tripe.

. You're talking to someone who has been a season ticket holder for over fifty years and followed my team all over England and personally witnessed the drunken violence of sections of the English fans.

I've also watched my local and county hurling teams play in numerous grounds in Ireland including Croke Park on four occasions with a crowd of over 84,000. In Ireland there's no segregation, drinking is allowed in the ground and the fans drink together before the match and after the match. In over 70 years I've never seen violence between opposing fans,

There's no comparison, take a look at what happened when the English football team tried to play a friendly in Dublin years ago 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CxKyej8mfk

When it comes to violent scum England has a far bigger percentage. I've lived and been educated in both countries and unlike some ignorant bigot actually know what I'm talking about.