To Many People .

24 minutes ago, m williamson said:

You are an absolute prime example of the type of uninformed Englishman that embarrasses the rest with your nonsense.

France had a land border with Germany and were overwhelmed by the German Blitzkrieg tactics. Had Britain had a land border with the continent the Germans would have continued on into England and been drinking Laphroaig  in Aberdeen by September. The BEF were defeated and driven out of France by the Germans and only the channel, the Royal Navy and Hitler's admiration for the British empire ( hoping he could come to an arrangement with a fellow Germanic race ) prevented it happening.

The Irish had only ended a war of Independence with Britain 17 years previously. Despite which over 133,000 Irish men and women joined the British forces to fight the Nazis.

https://www.fourcourtspress.ie/books/2021/irish-men-and-women-in-the-second-world-war/#:~:text=In this updated edition%2C new,some 64%2C000 from Northern Ireland.

Nearly 10,000 Irishmen died fighting in WW2.

As for people criticising this country have you any small grasp whatsoever of English/British history?

Makes you wonder what those Irish soldiers died for.

https://www.historyireland.com/de-valera-hitler-the-visit-of-condolence-may-1945/

6 minutes ago, retep said:

Makes you wonder what those Irish soldiers died for.

https://www.historyireland.com/de-valera-hitler-the-visit-of-condolence-may-1945/

So you are always fully in agreement with every decision made by the Prime Minister of the UK? 

As it happens the Irish have a culture in which expressing condolence to the bereaved - even if they are not friends - is customary. Obviously Jewish people are aware of that, otherwise they wouldn't have dedicated a forest in Israel to Eamon de Valera would they?

https://www.jta.org/archive/irish-jews-dedicate-forest-in-israel-in-tribute-to-de-valera

😉

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

You should have tried some.

Well I left school in July 1957 , four days after my 15th birthday ,  The school on the Manor Top tried to put me on a bus to Treeton pit with around 50 more school leavers , I jumped off and got a Job 10 miles away on a building site , (cycled there and back ) 

So my education began then ,   But you are right I should have got a proper one but our lot never had a chance ,  We were the fodder for the pit , the Steel works , the building site and so on .

The more fortunate kids who probably had professional parents and lived in a nice superb had a better start usually ,   
Any away thanks for pointing out my stupidity and once again you are right ,  as usual .

2 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Well I left school in July 1957 , four days after my 15th birthday ,  The school on the Manor Top tried to put me on a bus to Treeton pit with around 50 more school leavers , I jumped off and got a Job 10 miles away on a building site , (cycled there and back ) 

So my education began then ,   But you are right I should have got a proper one but our lot never had a chance ,  We were the fodder for the pit , the Steel works , the building site and so on .

The more fortunate kids who probably had professional parents and lived in a nice superb had a better start usually ,   
Any away thanks for pointing out my stupidity and once again you are right ,  as usual .

My dad was a lorry driver, my mum a housewife. We moved to Ireland after I left St Vinnies which was the fourth school I'd attended in England plus one in Ireland.

We then moved to Ireland and I went to a technical college. When we returned to Sheffield I started work in the building trade before getting a job in the electronic security business after a few years.

I worked for 33 years in that business starting on the tools, then sales, then local management, then regional management before starting my own business and running it for 16 years.

The five different schools and a technical college in two different countries didn't do a lot for my education, but it worked wonders for my ability to weigh people up.

I don't think for a minute that your stupid, but you do have a habit of jumping in with an opinion without finding out the facts on occasion. Not a grievous fault. but too tempting to avoid replying. Take care pal, no insult intended.

1 minute ago, m williamson said:

My dad was a lorry driver, my mum a housewife. We moved to Ireland after I left St Vinnies which was the fourth school I'd attended in England plus one in Ireland.

We then moved to Ireland and I went to a technical college. When we returned to Sheffield I started work in the building trade before getting a job in the electronic security business after a few years.

I worked for 33 years in that business starting on the tools, then sales, then local management, then regional management before starting my own business and running it for 16 years.

The five different schools and a technical college in two different countries didn't do a lot for my education, but it worked wonders for my ability to weigh people up.

I don't think for a minute that your stupid, but you do have a habit of jumping in with an opinion without finding out the facts on occasion. Not a grievous fault. but too tempting to avoid replying. Take care pal, no insult intended.

No problem ,life is to short 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m williamson said:

You are an absolute prime example of the type of uninformed Englishman that embarrasses the rest with your nonsense.

France had a land border with Germany and were overwhelmed by the German Blitzkrieg tactics. Had Britain had a land border with the continent the Germans would have continued on into England and been drinking Laphroaig  in Aberdeen by September. The BEF were defeated and driven out of France by the Germans and only the channel, the Royal Navy and Hitler's admiration for the British empire ( hoping he could come to an arrangement with a fellow Germanic race ) prevented it happening.

The Irish had only ended a war of Independence with Britain 17 years previously. Despite which over 133,000 Irish men and women joined the British forces to fight the Nazis.

https://www.fourcourtspress.ie/books/2021/irish-men-and-women-in-the-second-world-war/#:~:text=In this updated edition%2C new,some 64%2C000 from Northern Ireland.

Nearly 10,000 Irishmen died fighting in WW2.

As for people criticising this country have you any small grasp whatsoever of English/British history?

Well said mate and I agree with every word. 

Many don't realise how a  combination of circumstances,   good fortune and strategic mistakes by the enemy,  joined by our readiness to sweat blood and tears to defend our shores,

saved us from hearing jackboots in our streets and us becoming a part of a  new German Empire.  We will always owe many thanks,  to many people from other shores,  as well as our own  heroic lads and lasses.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Well said mate and I agree with every word. 

Many don't realise how a  combination of circumstances,   good fortune and strategic mistakes by the enemy,  joined by our readiness to sweat blood and tears to defend our shores,

saved us from hearing jackboots in our streets and us becoming a part of a  new German Empire.  We will always owe many thanks,  to many people from other shores,  as well as our own  heroic lads and lasses.

Agreed,  what annoys me about it is that this countries conduct throughout WW2  was exemplary. It was indeed " Our Finest Hour "

embellishing it and ignoring the contribution of other nations is an insult to what took place.

It was a combined Allied effort, Almost eight out of ten German troops that died in combat died fighting the Russians. Without American support in equipment initially and troops later both the Russians  and the UK would have been defeated. There was also support from the Commonwealth and European resistance was vital as well. As a percentage of the population Poland lost more people than any other European nation and a Polish squadron achieved the greatest number of kills in the Battle of Britain. It was the Poles that finally took Monte Cassino.  I worked with an English Coldstream Guardsman who was there.

Britain played an important role but couldn't have survived alone.