Sheffield To Ban Adverts For Unhealthy Or Polluting Products

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You must live in a different world to me, then. I can remember going almost anywhere and being surrounded by smokers, to the extent that you didn't think about it. Now, if someone lights up - even outdoors, it is blindingly obvious - and I speak as someone who was a 30/40-a day smoker before I gave up.

It's out of sight but that doesn't mean it's not rife. The smoking ban means everyone goes outside to smoke. And many people are now smoking vape cigarettes rather than comventional ones, which is just as bad.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You must live in a different world to me, then. I can remember going almost anywhere and being surrounded by smokers, to the extent that you didn't think about it. Now, if someone lights up - even outdoors, it is blindingly obvious - and I speak as someone who was a 30/40-a day smoker before I gave up.

its a far cry from the days of the top deck of buses, pubs, eateries and snooker halls

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's out of sight but that doesn't mean it's not rife. The smoking ban means everyone goes outside to smoke. And many people are now smoking vape cigarettes rather than comventional ones, which is just as bad.

Two points there - if they go outside to smoke, which I agree they do, even if they are not 'conventional' cigs, as the law does not allow any smoking in public/workplaces, you still don't see as many, and vapes are not as bad as conventional ones - they do not contain the cancer-causing products.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Two points there - if they go outside to smoke, which I agree they do, even if they are not 'conventional' cigs, as the law does not allow any smoking in public/workplaces, you still don't see as many, and vapes are not as bad as conventional ones - they do not contain the cancer-causing products.

Vaping cigarettes cause strokes.

6 hours ago, sheffbag said:

I think Toby summed it up on his show this afternoon

"Are they stopping serving alcohol in places like the City Hall?

Are they stopping supporting reopening Doncaster airport?

Are they going to stop taking business rates from places like McDonalds and BurgerKing?

No? oh just virtue signalling then"

I heard the final part of the interview.  I wondered who the woman was?  A SCC Councillor then. 

I was also listening to Foster afterwards, highlighting that the Councillor stated that baby formula wouldn't be advertised because SCC are interested in promoting the 'breast is best' natural way.  To which Foster pointed out his wife had difficulty breastfeeding their second child & had to result to formula. 

He also pointed out that such a stance taken by SCC might have a detrimental mental health effect on women unable to breastfeed? 

Another curious juxtaposition was that SCC will refuse the likes of Barclay's Bank adverts.  But again, as Foster pointed out, when you pay your SCC council tax, guess which bank's bank account it gets paid into on behalf of SCC?  Yes, you're correct, Barclay's. 

A little bit of hypocracy with your tea, Councillors? 

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

My sandwiches give a pleasurable experience and vital nutrients. What do vape pens give? 

Do they,

Professor Graham MacGregor, Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine at Queen Mary University of London and Chairman of Action on Salt says: “Reducing salt is the most cost-effective measure to lower blood pressure and reduce the number of people dying and suffering from strokes and heart disease. 

• Like 1