Sheffield To Ban Adverts For Unhealthy Or Polluting Products

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

You must live in a different world to me, then. I can remember going almost anywhere and being surrounded by smokers, to the extent that you didn't think about it. Now, if someone lights up - even outdoors, it is blindingly obvious - and I speak as someone who was a 30/40-a day smoker before I gave up.

Up to 50 a day me  , been stopped just over 5 five years and I can make one guarantee , I will never smoke another fag  as long as I live . 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Sarah Harding ate "healthily" and maintained a low weight but still died of cancer at 39. You could save up all of your life and get hit by a bus just before you buy your holiday villa. Life is to be enjoyed. Food is to be enjoyed. 

My Nannan  never smoked a fag in her life or drank alcohol  but died at the age of 60   . I can remember my Dad laying on a heart ward  , with a little lad laid next to him, saying  I've drunk and smoked and worked in horrible places , whats that little lad done wrong .  Crap happens , unfortunately .

39 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

My Nannan  never smoked a fag in her life or drank alcohol  but died at the age of 60   . I can remember my Dad laying on a heart ward  , with a little lad laid next to him, saying  I've drunk and smoked and worked in horrible places , whats that little lad done wrong .  Crap happens , unfortunately .

Yes. Life is cruel. We must enjoy it whilst we can.

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Has to be Cornish Gold butter for me, with a nice topping of grated vintage Cheddar.

A cheddar cheese sandwich, with Cornish gold butter, would provide > 50% of a person’s RDA for salt.

17 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

A cheddar cheese sandwich, with Cornish gold butter, would provide > 50% of a person’s RDA for salt.

I’m not a big fan of the old ‘I bet you’re fun at parties’ retort but there are occasions when…

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I’m not a big fan of the old ‘I bet you’re fun at parties’ retort but there are occasions when…

Understanding and controlling your salt intake could mean that you get to go to more parties than most😇

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Understanding and controlling your salt intake could mean that you get to go to more parties than most😇

True.  But there’s also ‘moderation in all things’ and ‘a little of what you fancy does you good’.  

Analysing the nutritional composition of everything you eat IMO, on balance does more harm than good for most people.  If you’re a bit of a nerdy, scientific type it might work for you but for most ordinary mortals it’s all rather dull and depressing.  And vulnerable people can end up with disordered eating when everyday foods are labelled ‘bad’.  And poor mental health, stress and anxiety are all bad for the heart!

There’s also the saying ‘it’s not the years of life it’s the life in the years that matters’.

A drive thru Dunkin Donuts is a new low and a real health concern.  For some reason though people seem to prefer to focus things like on a cheese sandwich.  It is the Dunkin Donuts type foods and that have caused the obesity problem today.  Not the foods that have been eaten for generations. Add to that the new craze for Drive Thrus’s!!

51 minutes ago, redruby said:

True.  But there’s also ‘moderation in all things’ and ‘a little of what you fancy does you good’.  

Analysing the nutritional composition of everything you eat IMO, on balance does more harm than good for most people.  If you’re a bit of a nerdy, scientific type it might work for you but for most ordinary mortals it’s all rather dull and depressing.  And vulnerable people can end up with disordered eating when everyday foods are labelled ‘bad’.  And poor mental health, stress and anxiety are all bad for the heart!

There’s also the saying ‘it’s not the years of life it’s the life in the years that matters’.

I agree with all of this. But it’s also useful to know where hidden badness lies.  Bread, in particular, is very salty. Anyone with blood pressure issues would do well to know that and eat less of it. 

I do like a nice cheese sarnie though. But no butter for me.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

I live by my own rules dear Thomas.

You really don’t.

And as a professional purveyor of comestibles, you should understand the biological rules that we are all subject to.

Magna Carta, or not.