Sheffield To Ban Adverts For Unhealthy Or Polluting Products

50 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Sorry — that came off a bit snappy. I wasn’t having a go (hence the emoji).

might be worth noting that the emoji doesn't show up well, on my Imac it's too tiny to see that it's a wink at first view unless its enlarged

Thumb Agree GIF by Kino's Kingdom

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I'm so tired of this climate emergency guff. "Sheffield Council declared a climate emergency in 2019"? 

If the council is so bothered why not do something practical rather than this silly idea. Reducing the amount of traffic lights so traffic can flow and isn't Stop Start Stop Start all day long would be a good start in my opinion. 

And makes it difficult to enter a main road  from a side road.

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And makes it difficult to enter a main road  from a side road.

Keep the ones where it's an awkward junction or accident black spot and bin most of the rest. 

Wizzard once said "I wish it could be Christmas every day". Driving though Sheffield at night and it looks like it is. 

Absolutely ridiculous waste of money and energy. 

16 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

986727142_McCrispyadvertSheffield_1200.jpg.82c5d3a9120dfcbdcbcf8410b4e6245c.jpg

Adverts for a wide range of polluting products and brands, including airlines, airports, fossil fuel-powered cars (including hybrids) and fossil fuel companies, will not be permitted on council-owned advertising billboards under the new Sheffield City Council Advertising and Sponsorship Policy. The council’s social media, websites, publications and any sponsorship arrangements will also be subject to the restrictions. 

This breaks new ground in the UK, with Sheffield going further than any other council to remove polluting promotions. Sheffield declared a climate emergency in 2019, alongside many other local councils. This step demonstrates a real commitment to reducing emissions, driving down air pollution, and encouraging a shift towards lower-carbon lifestyles.

Protecting health and wellbeing

The policy also restricts the promotion of gambling, alcohol, vaping and unhealthy food, and explicitly aims to protect against the disproportionate impact of unhealthy advertising on lower income communities and young people. Recent research by Adfree Cities showed that advertising billboards are overwhelmingly concentrated in communities with higher social deprivation. 

By including specific criteria that prioritises small local businesses, the policy also aims to protect Sheffield's local economy. After consultation with other councils and outdoor advertising companies, Sheffield’s Finance Committee concluded that the financial impact of the policy was likely to be low (approx. £14,000-£21,000) compared to the costs incurred via pressures on the NHS and other services.

More info at: https://www.badverts.org/latest/sheffield-kicks-out-polluting-ads-in-groundbreaking-new-policy

This is all very well but then at the same time we have new fast food places opening up regularly - there’s a new Burger King opened on Fargate very close to McDonalds and Wendy’s.  Then the Council recently gave approval for a new drive thru Dunkin Donuts on Queens Road. Right next to KFC.  And now the Council are banning fast food billboards. You couldn’t make it up.

Anyone care to post a drfinitive list of "unhealthy food". It seems to me it's going to be a full time job for someone monitoring the menus of food places , I wonder if if portion control is to be looked at.  Are fish and chips consideed unhealthy ?