Sheffield To Ban Adverts For Unhealthy Or Polluting Products

Just now, sheffbag said:

Apprently the reason behind the 0% alcohol ban is "because people will become familiar with the brand and this will lead them to drinking alcohol from that brand" (SCC councillor on Radio Sheffield)

So by that steps of separation if i buy an electric car then this will lead me to buy a diesel car after by the same brand but Electric cars can be advertised and hybrids cant

'SCC councillor' - says it all, really.

7 hours ago, Planner1 said:

But they aren’t “banning” them are they?

They are just restricting what can be put on billboards they own. There’s a big difference.

They are also very restricted on what they can do on planning consent as the whole system has been set up by central government to favour the developer. 

If the applicant meets the criteria, they pretty much have to approve it, or risk losing a potentially very expensive appeal, for which they would have to pay the applicants costs. That’s not very appealing to risk adverse and generally skint councils. 

Ok, so  I accidentally missed out a word. However, below is the quote from article the OP posted which I think is quite clear.  My point still stands though, it is ludicrous to introduce this whilst at the  same time doing things like approving a drive thru Dunkin Donuts right next to KFC.  And a Burger King within a few metres of 2 a McDonalds and Wendy’s.  It all smacks of insincere virtue signalling.

‘Adverts for a wide range of polluting products and brands, including airlines, airports, fossil fuel-powered cars (including hybrids) and fossil fuel companies, will not be permitted on council-owned advertising billboards under the new Sheffield City Council Advertising and Sponsorship Policy. The council’s social media, websites, publications and any sponsorship arrangements will also be subject to the restrictions’

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Apprently the reason behind the 0% alcohol ban is "because people will become familiar with the brand and this will lead them to drinking alcohol from that brand" (SCC councillor on Radio Sheffield)

So by that steps of separation if i buy an electric car then this will lead me to buy a diesel car after by the same brand but Electric cars can be advertised and hybrids cant

You couldn’t make it up 😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, pfifes said:

it is ludicrous to introduce this whilst at the  same time doing things like approving a drive thru Dunkin Donuts right next to KFC.  And a Burger King within a few metres of 2 a McDonalds and Wendy’s.  It all smacks of insincere virtue signalling.

An advertising policy is a different thing to planning policy, which is a different thing to a licensing policy, etc. You're not comparing apples with apples. They are each distinct things.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

An advertising policy is a different thing to planning policy, which is a different thing to a licensing policy, etc. You're not comparing apples with apples. They are each distinct things.

I know they are different policy areas .  But as both are within the same organisation do you not think a more joined up, consistent approach would be more effective and credible? As it stands it frankly appears the council is giving out confusing, mixed messages and wants to ‘have it’s cake and eat it’.  As I said before this is insincere virtue signalling.

45 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Ok, so  I accidentally missed out a word. However, below is the quote from article the OP posted which I think is quite clear.  My point still stands though, it is ludicrous to introduce this whilst at the  same time doing things like approving a drive thru Dunkin Donuts right next to KFC.  And a Burger King within a few metres of 2 a McDonalds and Wendy’s.  It all smacks of insincere virtue signalling.

‘Adverts for a wide range of polluting products and brands, including airlines, airports, fossil fuel-powered cars (including hybrids) and fossil fuel companies, will not be permitted on council-owned advertising billboards under the new Sheffield City Council Advertising and Sponsorship Policy. The council’s social media, websites, publications and any sponsorship arrangements will also be subject to the restrictions’

What do you mean missed out a word?

You said they are banning fast food billboards. They are not!

The council have a responsibility for public health. They own a good number of billboard sites and let contracts to advertising agencies to use them. They are perfectly within their rights to specify types of adverts they don’t want to see on those billboards because they are contrary to the councils policies and aims.

Plenty of people would be calling them hypocrites if they allowed that type of advert to be shown on their property, when their policies indicate they aren’t a good thing.

The planning issue is a completely different thing. It’s a statutory process bound by laws passed by central government, which heavily favour developers.

The council’s ability to refuse planning applications is very limited under planning law. If the application meets requirements, they have no reasonable grounds to refuse it and could be liable for significant costs if the applicant wins an appeal. 

9 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I know they are different policy areas .  But as both are within the same organisation do you not think a more joined up, consistent approach would be more effective and credible? As it stands it frankly appears the council is giving out confusing, mixed messages and wants to ‘have it’s cake and eat it’.  As I said before this is insincere virtue signalling.

The council can only act within the powers available to it.

Yes, that means that sometimes its actions don’t look joined up. That’s because it is a huge organisation with many responsibilities lots of which are governed by law.

The planning process is such a case. The council have very limited grounds under which they can refuse an application. That is how the government have set up the planning system and the laws that govern it, to favour the developer. 

The council cannot turn down an application if it meets the criteria, just because it doesn’t necessarily meet their other aims, like improving public health. The law doesn’t allow them to do that.  They don’t make the laws.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

The council can only act within the powers available to it.

Yes, that means that sometimes its actions don’t look joined up. That’s because it is a huge organisation with many responsibilities lots of which are governed by law.

The planning process is such a case. The council have very limited grounds under which they can refuse an application. That is how the government have set up the planning system and the laws that govern it, to favour the developer. 

The council cannot turn down an application if it meets the criteria, just because it doesn’t necessarily meet their other aims, like improving public health. The law doesn’t allow them to do that.  They don’t make the laws.

Well then, why start this new policy on council owned billboards?  It is just pointless stopping a few adverts on council owned billboards whilst more and more fast food outlets keep opening in close proximity?  I am not convinced this is a case of  making small steps in the right direction.  To quote the late, great Sid Waddell, ‘it’s like using a shovel at the foot of Mount Etna’.  Again the only purpose it serves is virtue signalling.  

13 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

We are grown adults, we will buy what we want. The high taxes on booze and fags should cover any additional healthcare costs. Let us make our own flipping decisions. 

Maybe that’s the point of the advertising ban.

Fewer adverts will allow you to make your own decisions, without being manipulated by adverts.