Sheffield's New FREE Electric City Centre Buses (Sheffield Connect)

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

'Due to  vehicle issues' - they can sometimes be hilarious - or downright economical with the truth.

They don't give any details, and when they were asked if it was due to theft of the vehicle, which it was, they don't give a reply - not that we should expect anything less though, should we?

I mean, that's a twitter feed for travel updates. It's literally there to inform people the service will be reduced, I'd never expect chapter and verse from it about why the bus is missing.

1 minute ago, AndrewC said:

I mean, that's a twitter feed for travel updates. It's literally there to inform people the service will be reduced, I'd never expect chapter and verse from it about why the bus is missing.

Neither would I, but if you actually log in to view the full story, the question is asked - but avoided.

Typical TSY behaviour though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Resident said:

18-19hrs is average. 

When First had the Volvo EV on loan it ran the 51 service for a full 19hr shift and had just over 20% left. 

Weather was variable that day and the bus was fully charged the next day ready for service. 

Yea obviously depends on the route and weather  but the connects seem to use around 26% in a day. I wouldn't know how hilly the 51 is, that would make big difference I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Giving the reason doesn't change anything though, not sure what the issue is here. 

It doesn't change anything, true - but the fact that they store half a million pounds worth of equipment which can be stolen in the open, with poor security, is a little worrying?

• Like 1

Just now, NERVY-OWL said:

Yea obviously depends on the route and weather  but the connects seem to use around 26% in a day. I wouldn't know how hilly the 51 is, that would make big difference I guess.

A lot 'hillier' than the SC1/SC2 routes.

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Neither would I, but if you actually log in to view the full story, the question is asked - but avoided.

Typical TSY behaviour though.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

It doesn't change anything, true - but the fact that they store half a million pounds worth of equipment which can be stolen in the open, with poor security, is a little worrying?

It isn't in the slightest bit unusual for the admin of an X/twitter handle to not engage much - if at all - with questioning etc. That's the work of a statement from TSY, and/or articles from the local media.

The tweet you quoted was there to simply inform users of the disruption.

I'm not saying I disagree with your general sentiment, that having one of these buses stolen would be a major concern regarding how well they are secured at night, but you're being silly in expecting the answers and explanations to be coming from that particular source.

You might as well get as upset about the infoboard screens at bus stops not giving you the full story.

Edited by AndrewC

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Yep - probably one bloke asleep.

Not what I've been told but can't give many details while the police are investigating. Not a good look though for the interchange having it happen at all, whatever the circumstances. Hopefully they can get a good view of the driver from the bus or interchange CCTV and get him charged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

It isn't in the slightest bit unusual for the admin of an X/twitter handle to not engage much - if at all - with questioning etc. That's the work of a statement from TSY, and/or articles from the local media.

The tweet you quoted was there to simply inform users of the disruption.

I'm not saying I disagree with your general sentiment, that having one of these buses stolen would be a major concern regarding how well they are secured at night, but you're being silly in expecting the answers and explanations to be coming from that particular source.

You might as well get as upset about the infoboard screens at bus stops not giving you the full story.

As I now rarely use Twitter as an information source, I'll take your word for what it is used for.

I don't know what you mean about 'infoboards', but  some of the 'live times' displays, especially the new ones on Furnival Gate are useless anyway, you can't read them.

1 minute ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Not what I've been told but can't give many details while the police are investigating. Not a good look though for the interchange having it happen at all, whatever the circumstances. Hopefully they can get a good view of the driver from the bus or interchange CCTV and get him charged.

Storing them there is poor security anyway. Even if they get a picture, they've got to find him/her.

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

As I now rarely use Twitter as an information source, I'll take your word for what it is used for.

I don't know what you mean about 'infoboards', but  some of the 'live times' displays, especially the new ones on Furnival Gate are useless anyway, you can't read them.

Storing them there is poor security anyway. Even if they get a picture, they've got to find him/her.

Maybe this will make them re think it, probably not though after spending money on the charging points. I doubt SPCT would be happy about the council wanting to store them at brightside, I guess the contract and costings were done on the basis of them staying in the interchange overnight. Company costs would go up having to store there. If anything this will be a wake-up call for the council/interchange about the security there.