Sheffield's New FREE Electric City Centre Buses (Sheffield Connect)

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Yes, but it could be on a green tariff (I know ‘the grid’ mixes all sources, but there are green tariffs that are ‘sourced’ from renewables via reinvestment, etc)

I take your point - but show me one electricity supplier that does not claim to be green.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

They're using Ultra-fast charger. Around 450kW.

A typical kettle is 2.5kW. 

So to charge one bus it's like boiling 180 kettles for 3hrs continously. I've taken the .5 off for the charge entropy toward the end of the cycle 

There are 4 of them. 

Most electric vehicles are charged overnight, when there's no sun so explain to me how these 'green' buses are green. 

I know what you mean but wherever the electricity is sourced from there will be less vehicle emissions in theory when all four buses are in use rather than four diesel buses, so green in that way but yes unless the electricity used is from renewable sources it's not completely green travel.

I’d prefer sheltered walk ways from one end of town to the next than a free bus 

this country is 83.5% cold & rainy other major citys throughout the world develop buildings that fit to the climate conditions 

Scc should make developers install if its on the main footfalls 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

I’d prefer sheltered walk ways from one end of town to the next than a free bus 

this country is 83.5% cold & rainy other major citys throughout the world develop buildings that fit to the climate conditions 

Scc should make developers install if its on the main footfalls 

I think they missed a trick not putting a roof over The Moor when redeveloping that.

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I just think it would have made it a nice destination and given a decent covered area of town for shoppers.

OK, I kind of see your point, but they cover that - quite large - area and then you get people saying, for instance 'why don't you cover the Peace Gardens/Fargate/High Street....'