Sheffield's New FREE Electric City Centre Buses (Sheffield Connect)

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

The charge time I saw - on the official ADL spec sheet was 3.1/2 hours , but maybe that was using  different charging kit? - I don't know, as just a very interested party, I can only go on publicly available data.

I would have thought SYMCA (as the owners of the vehicles) would have made suitable provision for the secure overnight storage of these expensive vehicles - but accept we are talking about a dysfunctional organisation, so maybe I am expecting the impossible?

I've been told the way they had to wire it up means it's a slower charge. When they can hook it up to the correct place then it might be 3.5 hours I guess but not at the moment. Just doing connects though you can probably get 3 days use before needing to charge them if you really wanted. They'd need to find somewhere other than brightside yard to store them though.

Just now, rogets said:

because it defeats the object

ev's are supposed to be better than diesels

Who says?

And in any case, it would have to towed back to Pond street - BY A DIESEL recovery wagon.

Just now, RollingJ said:

Who says?

And in any case, it would have to towed back to Pond street - BY A DIESEL recovery wagon.

So it kind of proves that EVs are not an improvement

1 minute ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I've been told the way they had to wire it up means it's a slower charge. When they can hook it up to the correct place then it might be 3.5 hours I guess but not at the moment. Just doing connects though you can probably get 3 days use before needing to charge them if you really wanted. They'd need to find somewhere other than brightside yard to store them though.

Fair enough, but I wonder why they couldn't provision the kit properly - or was it another SYMCA lash-up?

2 minutes ago, rogets said:

Out of a 24 hour day I reckon buses need to be active 20 hours per day

I am assuming the electric buses can be active 20 hours out of 24?

Their timetable says they run for ~12hrs/day.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Their timetable says they run for ~12hrs/day.

Does that include when the headlights are on, heating is on, when the windscreen wipers are being used?