Sheffield's New FREE Electric City Centre Buses (Sheffield Connect)

1 minute ago, rogets said:

Does that include when the headlights are on, heating is on, when the windscreen wipers are being used?

I was talking about the timetable for the services, which is from 0700-1900.  The auxiliary equipment will only be in use when needed, and, although I am not certain, I suspect they will not run from the motive power batteries.

56 minutes ago, rogets said:

So it kind of proves that EVs are not an improvement

Let's assume the EVs are more environmentally friendly. That would mean it's still an improvement having 4 EVs out there 99% of the time than 4 diesels out there 99% of the time.

Using 1 diesel tow-truck once, on the odd occasion the EV needs assistance doesn't offset the overall gain, does it?

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough, but I wonder why they couldn't provision the kit properly - or was it another SYMCA lash-up?

Not a clue, it does seem strange though. I'm only going on what I was told at the yard so unless his info is wrong I couldn't say.

2 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Not a clue, it does seem strange though. I'm only going on what I was told at the yard so unless his info is wrong I couldn't say.

Fair enough - but storing half a mill of equipment in unguarded premises overnight seems odd - to say the least.

1 hour ago, rogets said:

Out of a 24 hour day I reckon buses need to be active 20 hours per day

I am assuming the electric buses can be active 20 hours out of 24?

I checked at the end of the day and it had used about 26% of the battery. That's with lights and  heaters on, so yes they could seems that was a 12 hour day. Anyway I'm not sure what your point is, it's still better to have 4 electric buses running around town than 4 diesel's. The odd tow here and there isn't going to offset that.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough - but storing half a mill of equipment in unguarded premises overnight seems odd - to say the least.

I believe they have security overnight at the interchange, so not completely unguarded. 

'Due to  vehicle issues' - they can sometimes be hilarious - or downright economical with the truth.

They don't give any details, and when they were asked if it was due to theft of the vehicle, which it was, they don't give a reply - not that we should expect anything less though, should we?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rogets said:

Out of a 24 hour day I reckon buses need to be active 20 hours per day

I am assuming the electric buses can be active 20 hours out of 24?

18-19hrs is average. 

1 hour ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I checked at the end of the day and it had used about 26% of the battery. That's with lights and  heaters on, so yes they could seems that was a 12 hour day. Anyway I'm not sure what your point is, it's still better to have 4 electric buses running around town than 4 diesel's. The odd tow here and there isn't going to offset that.

When First had the Volvo EV on loan it ran the 51 service for a full 19hr shift and had just over 20% left. 

Weather was variable that day and the bus was fully charged the next day ready for service. 

Edited by Resident
  • Like 1