Sheffield's New FREE Electric City Centre Buses (Sheffield Connect)

On 17/04/2024 at 21:30, RollingJ said:

I don't think it is a case of 'loose lips sink ships', more that someone has really not thought this trough, As I said, the buses are NOT supposed to be stored there, and some knuckles are going to get rapped - hard.

The buses are owned by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority and they installed the electric charging infrastructure in their bus Interchange, therefore they have to spend the night charging there rather in the more secure environment of the depot of the bus company with the operating contract!

An absolutely ridiculous idea that anyone in the industry would have told the mayor if asked!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy C said:

The buses are owned by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority and they installed the electric charging infrastructure in their bus Interchange, therefore they have to spend the night charging there rather in the more secure environment of the depot of the bus company with the operating contract!

An absolutely ridiculous idea that anyone in the industry would have told the mayor if asked!

High-lighted bit: You know that, I know that, but Oliver knows better - not!

Also, if they had installed the proper charging facilities, the vehicle could have been charged whilst the Interchange was still manned, and then moved to secure accommodation with rapid charge infrastructure, ADL say these vehicles can be charged in 3.1/2 hours.

And - yes, I know the vehicles are owned by (or under lease to) SYMCA.

• Like 1

Edit to above (seeing as we still have this stupid 1 minute window) : there should really be a full stop after 'accommodation', and the following words should have been a separate sentence.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

High-lighted bit: You know that, I know that, but Oliver knows better - not!

Also, if they had installed the proper charging facilities, the vehicle could have been charged whilst the Interchange was still manned, and then moved to secure accommodation with rapid charge infrastructure, ADL say these vehicles can be charged in 3.1/2 hours.

And - yes, I know the vehicles are owned by (or under lease to) SYMCA.

Seriously now, do you actually think that the mayor is involved in every nuance of every project and initiative the MCA deliver?

The MCA will have staff who are responsible for the specification and installation of any infrastructure that they will own or operate. These people work with “the industry” every day of their lives.

There will be reasons why they chose to site the charging infrastructure at the interchange. Why not send them an foi and find out the real reason, rather than knocking the figureheads.

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Seriously now, do you actually think that the mayor is involved in every nuance of every project and initiative the MCA deliver?

The MCA will have staff who are responsible for the specification and installation of any infrastructure that they will own or operate. These people work with “the industry” every day of their lives.

There will be reasons why they chose to site the charging infrastructure at the interchange. Why not send them an foi and find out the real reason, rather than knocking the figureheads.

Mr. Coppard likes to claim it's all his doing, but we'll ignore that as we know it is a falsehood.

One assumes these 'staff' know what they are doing, but from what I have observed, I have my doubts - it appears they haven't considered the security aspect of parking half a million pounds worth of hardware at an apparently insecure location, for instance.

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Mr. Coppard likes to claim it's all his doing, but we'll ignore that as we know it is a falsehood.

One assumes these 'staff' know what they are doing, but from what I have observed, I have my doubts - it appears they haven't considered the security aspect of parking half a million pounds worth of hardware at an apparently insecure location, for instance.

Correct! Shouldn’t the  man at the top take responsibility for good or bad outcomes….or will he point a finger at the minions who clearly failed in this respect ?

Are these vehicles insured? If so with/by whom as surely they will have appropriate warranties which need to be complied with ….or the cover is negated? 

If they are “self insured “ maybe the good old rate/tax payer will pay

complete b#### up once again by a group of amateurs?

1 minute ago, Man in Crete said:

Correct! Shouldn’t the  man at the top take responsibility for good or bad outcomes….or will he point a finger at the minions who clearly failed in this respect ?

Are these vehicles insured? If so with/by whom as surely they will have appropriate warranties which need to be complied with ….or the cover is negated? 

If they are “self insured “ maybe the good old rate/tax payer will pay

complete b#### up once again by a group of amateurs?

The vehicles should be insured - whether they are outright purchased or leased - and as you say, that insurance will come with terms, including the security aspect. Storing £1/2m of kit in the open, in a quiet area doesn't seem all that 'safe' to me.

46 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I do not think that’s the case. I have never seen him specifically claim to be responsible for every aspect of any project or initiative.

Oh, I’d suspect they have considered it. There will be a reason why they park up there. To find that out, all you need to do is ask them why.

6 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I do not think that’s the case. I have never seen him specifically claim to be responsible for every aspect of any project or initiative.

Oh, I’d suspect they have considered it. There will be a reason why they park up there. To find that out, all you need to do is ask them why.

He may not specifically  claim 'responsibility' , but he certainly likes his name associated with the 'big' things.

If they have 'considered' it, it obviously wasn't for long - or those making the decision are not up to the job - £1/2m of kit in an open location? One also assumes that the Interchange is registered as an Operating Centre?

One reason they 'park up' there is because they take around 10 hours to charge up, apparently, because the installed charging facilities are not up to the job -if the correct facilities had been installed, then the vehicles could have been charged there, and then moved to secure overnight storage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

He may not specifically  claim 'responsibility' , but he certainly likes his name associated with the 'big' things.

If they have 'considered' it, it obviously wasn't for long - or those making the decision are not up to the job - £1/2m of kit in an open location? One also assumes that the Interchange is registered as an Operating Centre?

One reason they 'park up' there is because they take around 10 hours to charge up, apparently, because the installed charging facilities are not up to the job -if the correct facilities had been installed, then the vehicles could have been charged there, and then moved to secure overnight storage.

I don't know how accurate the information I was given about charging time was, he could of been wrong for all I know. I'm not sure how long it takes to charge would of been a consideration as to where to store them anyway.

This incident does seem to show they need to evaluate how they are stored though, even if just better security.