Sheffield's New FREE Electric City Centre Buses (Sheffield Connect)

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Maybe they should just run them on a Saturday then  - during the week they seem very quiet. I've used the SC1 a couple of times since - once Interchange>West Street, and Cumberland Street>Interchange, neither of which had more than four passengers.

As to the drivers, personally I find them some of the least friendly I've encountered anywhere, but I suppose if you're just driving fresh air...

Posted at or around midnight last night - so it referred to Friday afternoon.

I often see the SC2 on the Bridge St/Millsands loop and it's generally very quiet indeed.

8 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Maybe they should just run them on a Saturday then  - during the week they seem very quiet. I've used the SC1 a couple of times since - once Interchange>West Street, and Cumberland Street>Interchange, neither of which had more than four passengers.

As to the drivers, personally I find them some of the least friendly I've encountered anywhere, but I suppose if you're just driving fresh air...

They do run them on the weekend.   It's a 7 day service on both routes.  

At the end of the day it's too early for anyone to know what the real passenger numbers are. The service has only really just got properly going since the introduction of the new 'proper' buses.  Its branding and visibility are certainly improved and it's more recognisable where you can alight and board so hopefully that will  increase passengers.  

At the end of the day, the funding has been allocated, the contract is signed to run the thing so it's a case of use it or lose it.  If it becomes the latter, I don't expect to see the whining from usual suspects about why places like Manchester has a free city bus service and we don't....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

At the end of the day it's too early for anyone to know what the real passenger numbers are. The service has only really just got properly going since the introduction of the new 'proper' buses.  Its branding and visibility are certainly improved and it's more recognisable where you can alight and board so hopefully that will  increase passengers.  

At the end of the day, the funding has been allocated, the contract is signed to run the thing so it's a case of use it or lose it.  If it becomes the latter, I don't expect to see the whining from usual suspects about why places like Manchester has a free city bus service and we don't....

I still remember the untold crying on here when the original Freebee bus got withdrawn. 

9 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Err. Being electric aren’t they quiet all the time?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

They do run them on the weekend.   It's a 7 day service on both routes.  

I am well aware of that - I have the full timetable - which is currently wrong for the SC1 anyway.

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

It has been running in its present form for two months - give or take - and it doesn't appear to be very well patronised from what I have seen. If I get a spare day to spend in the city centre, I shall do a little more in-depth investigation, but, five or six hours round there is not my idea of fun.

• Like 1

I think the passenger numbers have improved since the electric buses have been introduced, not sure how much by though. So far it seems a waste of time having them run earlier/later, should of kept as it was or just a 9-6 service as very few get on before 9.

2 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I think the passenger numbers have improved since the electric buses have been introduced, not sure how much by though. So far it seems a waste of time having them run earlier/later, should have kept as it was or just a 9-6 service as very few get on before 9.

This is my understanding too.

Numbers have increased by a quite a bit during core hours, but are still lacking outside of that.

9 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I think the passenger numbers have improved since the electric buses have been introduced, not sure how much by though. So far it seems a waste of time having them run earlier/later, should of kept as it was or just a 9-6 service as very few get on before 9.

Very few use it before 9 because the majority of it's users can't get into town for free before 0930 :hihi:

• Like 2