Sheffield's New FREE Electric City Centre Buses (Sheffield Connect)

The subject of why these buses aren't busier than they are may be an interesting one to revisit.

I've recently used them a few times. Brand new electric buses with air conditioning and next stop announcements - and it's a free service!

Examples of journeys...

- connected between the tram and SC1 bus at Cathedral to go to the Moor Market

- connected between bus 25 and bus SC2 on Eyre Street for a ride down to Millsands, which isn't far from the Fat Cat and Harlequin pubs

- got the SC1 from Trippet Lane after visiting the Dog & Partridge down to the railway station to get a train to Barnsley.

Buses operate 7 days a week - 7am to 7pm Mondays to Saturdays and 9.30am to 4pm on Sundays. Route SC1 sets off every 10 minutes, Route SC2 sets off every 20 minutes.

Sheffield Connect - Travel South Yorkshire

Free bus SC2 map.jpeg

Free bus SC1 map.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/08/2024 at 15:47, Andy C said:

The subject of why these buses aren't busier than they are may be an interesting one to revisit.

I've recently used them a few times. Brand new electric buses with air conditioning and next stop announcements - and it's a free service!

Examples of journeys...

- connected between the tram and SC1 bus at Cathedral to go to the Moor Market

- connected between bus 25 and bus SC2 on Eyre Street for a ride down to Millsands, which isn't far from the Fat Cat and Harlequin pubs

- got the SC1 from Trippet Lane after visiting the Dog & Partridge down to the railway station to get a train to Barnsley.

Buses operate 7 days a week - 7am to 7pm Mondays to Saturdays and 9.30am to 4pm on Sundays. Route SC1 sets off every 10 minutes, Route SC2 sets off every 20 minutes.

Sheffield Connect - Travel South Yorkshire

Free bus SC2 map.jpeg

Free bus SC1 map.jpeg

Thanks for that, been trying to source map.

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Something in Star about the Green ,electric buses being run by a diesel generator . 😂

If they have been stored off the Interchange -finally, they will be, as the charging infrastructure is there, and not at some registered address presumably the SPCT yard.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

If they have been stored off the Interchange -finally, they will be, as the charging infrastructure is there, and not at some registered address presumably the SPCT yard.

Nope stored in interchange otherwise they can't be charged. Not sure what this generator rubbish is about.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Nope stored in interchange otherwise they can't be charged. Not sure what this generator rubbish is about.

OK - thanks. I understand. The charging facilities are in the wrong place, as I doubt the Interchange is a registered operating centre,  though.

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK - thanks. I understand. The charging facilities are in the wrong place, as I doubt the Interchange is a registered operating centre,  though.

When the tendors were put out for the service they applications from as far as Cornwall as it was just drivers they needed. I doubt if a company got it from miles away would of drove the buses back down south every night. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

When the tendors were put out for the service they applications from as far as Cornwall as it was just drivers they needed. I doubt if a company got it from miles away would of drove the buses back down south every night. 

The vehicles legal lettering is (or was, I haven't checked recently) 'SPCT' with the registered address at Brightside - not 'Sheffield Interchange' - but as I have said previously, and it has been proved, the vehicles are not safe at STI. Who in their right mind stores 4 x £350k buses in an open area?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

When the tendors were put out for the service they applications from as far as Cornwall as it was just drivers they needed. I doubt if a company got it from miles away would have drove the buses back down south every night. 

It’s irrelevant where the firm is from, they set an operation up locally. First is based in Aberdeen for example.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RollingJ said:

A couple of years back McGills (Glasgow) finance director advised that with the price of electricity it would be cheaper to buy a set of generators and charge their electric fleet independently from them rather than from the mains.

• Like 1