Electricity Meter

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

They quoted you how much??? That sounds like they are taking you for a mug. How old is your meter, and where is it?

In what was the front porch, now in the hall by virtue of moving the front door.

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

In what was the front porch, now in the hall by virtue of moving the front door.

So - all they need to do is fit a new meter - with earthing. As has been said above, this service is free of charge.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I think the only time a supplier is allowed to charge is if you ask for the meter to be re-located.

I suspect this is either what has been requested and the OP has left this detail out, or that Octopus think this is what the OP wants. 

Speaking to a competent person on the phone should resolve the issue assuming it's the former. 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I suspect this is either what has been requested and the OP has left this detail out, or that Octopus think this is what the OP wants. 

Speaking to a competent person on the phone should resolve the issue assuming it's the former. 

Quite possibly, but I have learnt to answer what is visibly posted, in the hope that if I am wrong, I will be corrected. Trying to read peoples minds, especially via electronic means, is fraught with difficulty. 🤣

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Thanks, and a double apology for being a stupid bugger. Just called them and they apologised and then quoted me circa £1000, does that sound reasonable or not?

Is this a wind-up?

5 minutes ago, crookesey said:

If it appears so to you then you live in a different world to me. :huh:

They have clearly misunderstood you and think you want them to MOVE the meter.

Ring them again. If they are saying they want to replace it, they do it F. O. C

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

They have clearly misunderstood you and think you want them to MOVE the meter.

Ring them again. If they are saying they want to replace it, they do it F. O. C

Yes, many thanks, the problem is likely to be my wife and myself attempting to do the same thing singularity, after nearly 50 years of marriage we ought to have known better. :loopy: