Mans Best Friend, Not Any More.

Now I love dogs, most of my family have one, but I'll never have one simply because I couldn't look after it properly...

Last week I was reading that the most popular pet in Britain is not a dog anymore, but a fish !!!

Experts suggest this is because of changing lifestyles, Covid, and the soaring cost of vet fees.

Children prefer virtual dogs on the computer, and working parents don't want to leave a real dog at home all day, in case it eats the blender and ruins the natural organic carpet, which cost's about 100 quid a square yard..

I think this is a load of rubbish, I can remember about a Scottish hill farmer who suffered a stroke while out in the glens, and was saved from certain death by his faithful Collie dog who snuggled up to the stricken chap to keep him warm, and then ran around barking when it saw the search and rescue helicopter circling nearby..

This wouldn't have happened if he'd been up there with Shep and Rover, his trusty couple of fish....

And when you hear a noise in your house at 3am, you are entitled to feel frightened if all you have downstairs is a brace of Carp.. Whereas, if you have a huge dog with big spiky teeth, you can roll over and go back to sleep..

Dogs bring peace of mind whether you've had a stroke or been burgled.

Despite this, I could never be tempted to own a dog, I just couldn't cope with the Dog-Logs in the yard, and the incessant barking, and the smell.

Not long ago, you bought a dog for 40p, taught it to sit and fed it a tin of diced horse once a day...

And guess what they cost? 

For what is basically a mongrel, where talking over a £1000.

The Poodle owners club and the Labrador society are sworn enemies,.

So Labradoodle owners, therefore, have been driven on to the web, arranging secret dogging locations where they can dog away quietly, away from armed vigilante groups of Labradors and Poodle owners..

What next.. Labracow's?

And then when you've spent all this money, you have to get it insured, and they will insist that in addition to the collar, it has to have a micro chip inserted into it's skin, so it can be tracked by satellite, And, annoyingly, this can't be inserted by an electrician, you've got to get a vet, which cost another million pounds..

And that's why the fish has overtaken the dog as Britains number one pet, because these days running a dog is more expensive and complicated than running a nuclear power station.

There is of course one advantage to owning a fish:  

When a dog dies, you can't flush it down the lavatory..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

Well a Chihuahua you could.

I would like to flush those pointless, aggressive, yapping dish rags down the toilet whilst still alive.

I say this as an animal lover and one who spends much of his time rescuing dogs........I can't stand them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Now I love dogs, most of my family have one, but I'll never have one simply because I couldn't look after it properly...

Last week I was reading that the most popular pet in Britain is not a dog anymore, but a fish !!!

Experts suggest this is because of changing lifestyles, Covid, and the soaring cost of vet fees.

Children prefer virtual dogs on the computer, and working parents don't want to leave a real dog at home all day, in case it eats the blender and ruins the natural organic carpet, which cost's about 100 quid a square yard..

I think this is a load of rubbish, I can remember about a Scottish hill farmer who suffered a stroke while out in the glens, and was saved from certain death by his faithful Collie dog who snuggled up to the stricken chap to keep him warm, and then ran around barking when it saw the search and rescue helicopter circling nearby..

This wouldn't have happened if he'd been up there with Shep and Rover, his trusty couple of fish....

And when you hear a noise in your house at 3am, you are entitled to feel frightened if all you have downstairs is a brace of Carp.. Whereas, if you have a huge dog with big spiky teeth, you can roll over and go back to sleep..

Despite this, I could never be tempted to own a dog, I just couldn't cope with the Dog-Logs in the yard, and the incessant barking, and the smell.

Not long ago, you bought a dog for 40p, taught it to sit and fed it a tin of diced horse once a day...

So Labradoodle owners, therefore, have been driven on to the web, arranging secret dogging locations where they can dog away quietly, away from armed vigilante groups of Labradors and Poodle owners..

What next.. Labracow's?

And then when you've spent all this money, you have to get it insured, and they will insist that in addition to the collar, it has to have a micro chip inserted into it's skin, so it can be tracked by satellite, And, annoyingly, this can't be inserted by an electrician, you've got to get a vet, which cost another million pounds..

And that's why the fish has overtaken the dog as Britains number one pet, because these days running a dog is more expensive and complicated than running a nuclear power station.

So that’s where I went wrong .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Padders said:

What next.. Labracow's?

I've got a  bull terrier shih tzu Cross 🫣

• Like 1

Such a shame that people are priced out of owning a dog. 

They're good for you. Get you out of the house and exercising, (and other dog walkers talk to you.) They cheer you up, and are Brilliant company. They don't have to be so expensive if you get one from an animal shelter, (though you should be thoroughly vetted by the establishment and quite right too.) The breed's temperament needs to be considered carefully to meet each others needs, but it's worth remembering that muts and mongrels are usually hardier then certain breeds, and just as loving. 

But Like Padders, much as I love them, I too am reluctant to commit myself to one for similar reasons. They can be hard work. So I compromise, and look after friends dogs when they go on holiday etc. I love it, but just lik grandparents, I am quite happy when I can give them back and enjoy a rest! 

• Like 1

I don’t think some people realise the responsibility of owning a dog. It’s not just the vets fees and the dog food you have to buy, but a dog needs walking at least twice a day. If you go out to work you would have to walk a dog before going to work or afterwards. Have you got the stamina.?