Mans Best Friend, Not Any More.

6 hours ago, Padders said:

Now I love dogs, most of my family have one, but I'll never have one simply because I couldn't look after it properly...

Last week I was reading that the most popular pet in Britain is not a dog anymore, but a fish !!!

Experts suggest this is because of changing lifestyles, Covid, and the soaring cost of vet fees.

Children prefer virtual dogs on the computer, and working parents don't want to leave a real dog at home all day, in case it eats the blender and ruins the natural organic carpet, which cost's about 100 quid a square yard..

I think this is a load of rubbish, I can remember about a Scottish hill farmer who suffered a stroke while out in the glens, and was saved from certain death by his faithful Collie dog who snuggled up to the stricken chap to keep him warm, and then ran around barking when it saw the search and rescue helicopter circling nearby..

This wouldn't have happened if he'd been up there with Shep and Rover, his trusty couple of fish....

And when you hear a noise in your house at 3am, you are entitled to feel frightened if all you have downstairs is a brace of Carp.. Whereas, if you have a huge dog with big spiky teeth, you can roll over and go back to sleep..

Dogs bring peace of mind whether you've had a stroke or been burgled.

Despite this, I could never be tempted to own a dog, I just couldn't cope with the Dog-Logs in the yard, and the incessant barking, and the smell.

Not long ago, you bought a dog for 40p, taught it to sit and fed it a tin of diced horse once a day...

And guess what they cost? 

For what is basically a mongrel, where talking over a £1000.

The Poodle owners club and the Labrador society are sworn enemies,.

So Labradoodle owners, therefore, have been driven on to the web, arranging secret dogging locations where they can dog away quietly, away from armed vigilante groups of Labradors and Poodle owners..

What next.. Labracow's?

And then when you've spent all this money, you have to get it insured, and they will insist that in addition to the collar, it has to have a micro chip inserted into it's skin, so it can be tracked by satellite, And, annoyingly, this can't be inserted by an electrician, you've got to get a vet, which cost another million pounds..

And that's why the fish has overtaken the dog as Britains number one pet, because these days running a dog is more expensive and complicated than running a nuclear power station.

There is of course one advantage to owning a fish:  

When a dog dies, you can't flush it down the lavatory..

And a gold fish will never embarrass you tying to hump the postman's leg  :blush:

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I don’t think some people realise the responsibility of owning a dog. It’s not just the vets fees and the dog food you have to buy, but a dog needs walking at least twice a day. If you go out to work you would have to walk a dog before going to work or afterwards. Have you got the stamina.?

Yes absolutely.  I'm glad somebody else mentioned it.  Seemed a lot of talk about the benefits that people have from dogs but very little talk about the dog's own welfare.  

For all the talk of how loyal and loving and comforting dogs are to people, they are still a significant financial and time commitment.

They're not some thing to be petted and give comfort when people feel like before being shoved away in a basket for hours on end when they want to go on a day trip or go out to work all day or get out to their favourite nightclub somewhere.

It always concerned me when alarming numbers of my work colleagues, as did seemingly many other people, suddenly decided to get a dog during the covid lockdowns.   Now they all seem moaning and complaining after being told they need to get back into the office at least X days a week or worrying about having to pay hundreds in dog sitter fees. Some are even going as far to give them away.

These are living breathing animals, not toys. It's a serious and measured decision to be made before committing to one.

14 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes absolutely.  I'm glad somebody else mentioned it.  Seemed a lot of talk about the benefits that people have from dogs but very little talk about the dog's own welfare.  

For all the talk of how loyal and loving and comforting dogs are to people, they are still a significant financial and time commitment.

They're not some thing to be petted and give comfort when people feel like before being shoved away in a basket for hours on end when they want to go on a day trip or go out to work all day or get out to their favourite nightclub somewhere.

It always concerned me when alarming numbers of my work colleagues, as did seemingly many other people, suddenly decided to get a dog during the covid lockdowns.   Now they all seem moaning and complaining after being told they need to get back into the office at least X days a week or worrying about having to pay hundreds in dog sitter fees. Some are even going as far to give them away.

These are living breathing animals, not toys. It's a serious and measured decision to be made before committing to one.

:thumbsup:

I suppose for a treat one could always let the goldfish have a turn swimming in the bath, but you'd have to take the coal out first/..

And if you've been taken in by the "If it's safe in water, it's safe in Lux" hype. It's the spin dryer that kills them.