Should Horse Riders Be Banned From Using Roads

Why not get the horse's owner to purchase a road tax for horses, a nominal amount such as £500 per year and then display a disk on the saddle?

If the horse is displaying road tax then this will solve the problem

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

I don’t see nags going through red lights up pavements and one way streets the wrong way but cyclists yes lots of them.

Cyclists don't crap on the road .unless a lardarse in a ton of metal runs them over .

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

Riding two abreast, chatting away to each other when there is a queue of traffic behind them. They never appear to move over onto an empty path or verge, I’m surprised that there are not more accidents. :huh:

100% right ️ 

2 hours ago, pfifes said:

Erm, what kind of roads are we talking about here?  The only roads I ever see horses on are country land type roads.  I would certainly agree it’s too dangerous and stressful for the horse to ride on a busy road but if we are talking country lanes, they have every right to be there.  

No doubt there are some motorists who will start on about how they pay ‘road tax’ (non existent  since 1936) so they have a right to zoom around in the countryside frightening horses and that horses should be in a field.  Well, as others have said those lanes were used by horses long before motor vehicles.  

As for:

‘Something we (good motorist's ) do, but where we can control, clutch, throttle and brakes to the point of stopping altogether.

A skittish horse is harder to control to the point it is a Danger to itself, the rider and other road users.’

Well I don’t believe that the knocked down walls on tight bends on country roads are due to ‘skittish, unpredictable, sh***ng machines.’. somehow.  I have a strong suspicion as the cause of most of these and it isn’t equine despite a lack of ‘clutch, throttle and brakes’.

I also don’t believe that horses are involved in high proportion of RTAs.  Oh, sure there are some and sure there will be irresponsible horse riders to blame.  But in the scheme of things they are not a major contributor to accidents on the roads.  

I drive, and enjoy driving but I don’t excuse selfish, entitled motorists who think they such are hot shots they have more right to be on the road than anyone else.  And probably think it’s perfectly fine to park on pavements too.

Your counter argument fails in so many ways Pfifes.

What is a 'Country, land, type road' :huh:

We're talking 'Public highway'.

As for motorists shouting about road tax (in what ever form you want to call the present system) up until #19 (your post) No-one had mentioned it 😀😀.

Again no one said the motorist had more right to be on the road. 

On the other hand they probably have, having passed their driving test.

Apart from horse riders under 14's having to wear a helmet. Unless there has been a change in the law, there is 'No' minimum age for taking a horse out on-to a public highway :suspect:.

Stipulations on type of  'Tack' for road use, is as far as it goes law wise.

Looking at shiny buckles and bits of leather, not quite the same as a car / motorcycle's annual MOT 🥴.

As for 'horses on busy roads', there are certain areas of Doncaster where 'pony and traps' are a common sight 😦

Why don't we see more horses on the road?

Easy answer. the Horsy type themselves know,

modern traffic is no place for them.  8).

Keep safe out there 🧐.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

Riding two abreast, chatting away to each other when there is a queue of traffic behind them. They never appear to move over onto an empty path or verge, I’m surprised that there are not more accidents. :huh:

This is why I carry a pea shooter.

It's especially more satisfying though when it hits those tight cycling shorts that Joshua and Tarquin wear whilst cycling two abreast.

• Haha 1