Halifax High Street Branch To Close

The Halifax have announced the closure of its High Street branch in Sheffield.

They say most of their customers use the app and online banking nowadays, so the branch is unnecessary. 

Alternatives are found nearby with lots of transactions available at the Post Office counter or the Halifax branch on The Moor.

High Street branch will close in early July.

5 minutes ago, iansheff said:

They won't be happy till they can get all their customers banking online.

If less people are choosing to use branches, they are going to keep branches open. 

I normally pay money in at the branch on The Moor. Whilst it was shut for the last few months for a refurb I realised I could pay money in at the Post Office, which is about 100 yards from where I live. So Im now going to be voting with my feet and use the Post Office instead.

I cant think of a single reason why I would need to visit a bank branch other than to pay money in, the last time I had to was to show ID for a remortgage, the rest of the process didnt involve a branch whatsoever.

Times change, the cohort most resistant to it are dying if you like this fact or not

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I went in about 6 weeks ago, to speak to an adviser and it was really busy. 

And was it for something that absolutely couldn't be done either online or on the phone? 

That's your issue. I can't think of a single function a branch does that they can't do through other channels, my mortgage provider could have taken the ID a different way I suppose and probably do now. And I can't imagine the rent on High Street is especially cheap either. 

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

And was it for something that absolutely couldn't be done either online or on the phone? 

That's your issue. I can't think of a single function a branch does that they can't do through other channels, my mortgage provider could have taken the ID a different way I suppose and probably do now. And I can't imagine the rent on High Street is especially cheap either. 

I did try ringing but there was no facility to speak to a person, so I went in instead. 

I don't use internet banking.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I did try ringing but there was no facility to speak to a person, so I went in instead. 

I don't use internet banking.

I've never had an issue speaking to anyone at the Halifax on the phone any time of day, how very odd. 

The Banks/Building Societies have survived longer than many household name retail outlets. To survive they need to be somewhere that you can feed and water in, such is modern life, like it or not. 🍺🍷🍔