Halifax High Street Branch To Close

59 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Another Public Sector employee. 🙄

No.  I just prefer to enjoy my lunch hour rather than wasting time at a bank when I can do the same transaction much more conveniently from home, at a time  beyond 9-5 or even at the weekend.  

Its not 1975 anymore.   Telephone and internet banking exists. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

banks need to stay open, if they close a branch that i use, i'll bank with someone else 

I don't enjoy using 99% of post offices, the same as I don't use corner shops 

So let's say that you bank with Halifax hypothetically & you go to the High Street branch in Sheffield. As it is going to close, presumably you close your account rather than walking to the branch on The Moor

• Like 1

Went into Halifax recently to try and open a bank account for my daughter, which you can't do online. Took all the necessary documents with us, only to be told they couldn't do it as we hadn't made an appointment in advance. They were fully booked and unable to offer us an appointment at any suitable time in the near future (most were within school hours) so I have now given up.

So much for teaching my child financial independence and responsibility. Clearly there is a demand for services that are only offered in the person, and I can't see how closing the largest branch in the city is going to be meeting this demand.

• Like 1

I heard it said that banks don’t necessarily close because they aren’t busy;  it’s more to do with whether there are enough transactions done in branch are profitable to the bank.  

That branch of Halifax on High St has a pretty overpowering scent of air freshener that hits you when you walk in.  It must be the counteract the rather less fragrant characters hanging around outside there.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluecanary said:

Went into Halifax recently to try and open a bank account for my daughter, which you can't do online. Took all the necessary documents with us, only to be told they couldn't do it as we hadn't made an appointment in advance. They were fully booked and unable to offer us an appointment at any suitable time in the near future (most were within school hours) so I have now given up.

So much for teaching my child financial independence and responsibility. Clearly there is a demand for services that are only offered in the person, and I can't see how closing the largest branch in the city is going to be meeting this demand.

Quite surprising. Less than 3 months ago I walked into the Halifax meadowhall and opened an account for myself with nothing more than my driving licence and a quick credit check using my credit card.  

They didn't mention anything about requiring a special appointment. In fact, I just sat with the advisor filled in the application myself using their iPad and job was done in about

5 minutes.  

Maybe you were just unlucky with your particular branch.

2 hours ago, MJ01 said:

So let's say that you bank with Halifax hypothetically & you go to the High Street branch in Sheffield. As it is going to close, presumably you close your account rather than walking to the branch on The Moor

what have I written? have another look buddie

8 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

They say most of their customers use the app and online banking nowadays, so the branch is unnecessary. 

No. They WANT most people to use their app but the reality is different. The branch still sees high footfall every day. Most people I speak to would rather do business in branch. The High Street should feature all of the big name banks. This is a disgrace. This is why we need to say NO when asked if we want to download an app or do something online instead. The bank workers who have pushed people to use the app will be partly to blame too. 

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

No. They WANT most people to use their app but the reality is different. The branch still sees high footfall every day. Most people I speak to would rather do business in branch. The High Street should feature all of the big name banks. This is a disgrace. This is why we need to say NO when asked if we want to download an app or do something online instead. The bank workers who have pushed people to use the app will be partly to blame too. 

What would you do if your employer went against your wishes?