Reminder: Register To Vote Before 16th April

On 26/03/2024 at 18:45, RollingJ said:

Which one?

As an aside, I would be very surprised if someone didn't have one, or more of the acceptable forms of ID, and if you don't, I understand you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate - see https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/photo-id-youll-need

The acceptable forms of ID are skewed towards those carried by older people. For example, an over 60s  Oyster card is acceptable ID, an 18+ Oyster is not.

Older people are more likely to vote Conservative. So the system does introduce some bias towards the Tories.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/voting-and-elections/voter-id/accepted-forms-photo-id

I’m broadly in favour of voter ID, but it needs refining to make it more inclusive.

2 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Yes, but most 60 year olds won’t need to fadf about like that. Quite a few 20 year olds will.

I would imagine most 20 year olds know how to use a computer, and you need to do it once - what's the 'faff'?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I would imagine most 20 year olds know how to use a computer, and you need to do it once - what's the 'faff'?

If its a faff for anyone they clearly aren't arsed about voting in the first place, ID or no ID. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Why can’t the list of acceptable IDs include things like Student Cards or travel passes?

There are far too many old people things on the list and too few young people things.

Your attitude is a perfect example of the reasons why people think that this is politically motivated. 

4 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Why can’t the list of acceptable IDs include things like Student Cards or travel passes?

There are far too many old people things on the list and too few young people things.

Your attitude is a perfect example of the reasons why people think that this is politically motivated. 

If you say so

Student Cards/Travel passes are well known to be faked - for other purposes.

As said before, what is wrong with applying for a VAC - they've had to apply for the others, presumably in the same way?

• Like 1

And everyone keeps missing the bleedin obvious that they can just get a postal vote if they have no ID at all, you dont need to be a cripple or be on holiday to get a postal vote you know.

• Like 2

It may seem easy to use an ID or get a certificate - but it is all just arbitrary barriers put in place, and whilst it may seem simple for you there are subsets of people disenfranchised by it.

It also puts extra new arbitrary time limits on stuff - rather than just having to be registered to vote in time you have to remember to apply for your ID or certificate by another deadline (and remember it on the day - previously you didn't even need to remember your polling card).

Some people just aren't good with (or able to) managing multiple deadlines. People who don't know the system initially (younger folk) will find it complicated and a barrier, whilst some people with certain disabilities or learning difficulties may find it overwhelming and unnecessarily difficult.

Whilst it seems easy to most (and it is to most), to disregard that some people may struggle feels a bit like you're coming from a priviledged position.

Plus it is a sledgehammer to crack a nut - voter fraud was insignificant beforehand (only 8 convictions in the five years previous), so the ID system isn't really needed (and if someone is that determined to commit voter fraud then surely they'd just as willingly commit that fraud with an ID also).

• Like 2