Urban Splash Sign Lease For Cole Brothers Building (Barkers Pool)

28 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

Typical Sheffield Forum. Let's start knocking the companies that are making an effort to improve our city.

Whos knocking the company?

I was just saying that its taken a long time and that i wouldnt hold your breath to see Cole Brothers open anytime soon.

If anything i blame the council for awarded a huge project to a small company and then allowing them to take over 20 years to complete only 60 percent of it. 

It will take a significant length of time to get this building ready, no matter what company takes on the task. I think the plan is for the lower floors to be ready some time in 2027. But at least something is being done, and progress is being made.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zach Clay said:

If anything i blame the council for awarded a huge project to a small company and then allowing them to take over 20 years to complete only 60 percent of it. 

This.

I love everything they're doing in the city centre but this seems like a bad move.

My gut feeling is that nothing will happen, timelines will be extended then eventually the project will just fizzle out and it'll be a big grey silent brick sat in the middle of the city for at last another decade yet unless someone else takes it over or the building just falls down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 28/03/2024 at 08:19, Mr. Johnson said:

This.

I love everything they're doing in the city centre but this seems like a bad move.

My gut feeling is that nothing will happen, timelines will be extended then eventually the project will just fizzle out and it'll be a big grey silent brick sat in the middle of the city for at last another decade yet unless someone else takes it over or the building just falls down.

It wants knocking down - I don’t know why we’re trying to preserve it.

Get rid of it and get creative with a new idea for what would be the best spot in town opposite the city hall.

• Like 1

Demolition was considered as an option, but renovation was judged to have considerably less environmental impact - plus, a group decided to get the building listed, including the car park, making demolition significantly more difficult to get approved.

8 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

It wants knocking down - I don’t know why we’re trying to preserve it.

Get rid of it and get creative with a new idea for what would be the best spot in town opposite the city hall.

Something like The Wool Market in Doncaster would be good in that location. I agree, the building is riddled with asbestos. Knock it down and make something new. Urban Splash aren't known for good project management, I have no faith in them completing the renovation and it will be an eyesore of scaffolding for years. 

• Like 1

• SheffieldForum changed the title to Urban Splash Sign Lease For Cole Brothers Building (Barkers Pool)