Parsons Cross Unsafe Staircase

20 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

Yep I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye even scc would not take 6 years 😀 

Really?  I would not be surprised about it.  I’ve heard similar stories about SCC.  But as I said, even if there is more to this than stated in the article, she should not have to risk injury with an unsafe staircase and 6 years is absolutely ridiculous in any circumstances.  It is disgraceful.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

You ever tried to get SCC to do anything in a timely manner ?- although I do agree this sounds very strange. Maybe we aren't hearing the full story?

She’s made the council look inept and stupid. If there was a story behind it , the council would use it to defend themselves.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

She’s made the council look inept and stupid. If there was a story behind it , the council would use it to defend themselves.

Bang on! I just hope this gets sorted out now it’s been publicised.

So would the council be sued if this poor lady suffered an injury using this unsafe staircase?

I wonder how SCC prioritise repairs?  I would have thought an unsafe staircase needs to repaired quickly.  6 years of waiting is unbelievable even if this particular case is more complex than it seems.

looks like a few screws and epoxy wood filler would sort those stairs out, cover with carpet jobs a good un, i've sorted far worse looking stairs than those.

as others have said maybe more to it than, the obvious stupid multiple sending out assessors instead of actual tradesmen/women to do the work councils are wasteful. 

Just had a good look at the photos the damage has not happened overnight the house looks in disrepair through  negligence by the Tennant a lick of paint and a good clean now and then would have helped prevent it the house must have been OK when she got it .

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

Just had a good look at the photos the damage has not happened overnight the house looks in disrepair through  negligence by the Tennant a lick of paint and a good clean now and then would have helped prevent it the house must have been OK when she got it .

With respect, I don’t think that applies to the unsafe staircase.  Do staircases frequently fall into disrepair through tenant negligence?  I think not.  She hasn’t wilfully damaged that staircase and you don’t maintain a staircase with ‘a luck if paint and a good clean’.  
I read some of the reader comments on this article and they were also rather judgmental.  One suggested she should get the stairs carpeted.  As if covering up the damaged stairs will make them safe .  
There is absolutely no point painting and carpeting parts of house in need of repair to make them look nicer.  It will only need re-doing following repair and if anything it give the council excuses that it ‘looks OK’ and is not urgent!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pfifes said:

One suggested she should get the stairs carpeted.  As if covering up the damaged stairs will make them safe .  
There is absolutely no point painting and carpeting parts of house in need of repair to make them look nicer.  It will only need re-doing following repair and if anything it give the council excuses that it ‘looks OK’ and is not urgent!!!

not what I said, I said looked a simple fix then carpet, you should read more. most stairs will look like hers when the carpets are lifted,  

i've done dozens over the years, mainly loft stairs that have dropped way worse condition than what's pictured, the fact that it's obviously had temporary repairs and those brackets are in place, means it's probably not deemed unsafe now, and rather was unsafe before being fitted. 

most carpet fitters will have seen worse, my last staircase job ( Nov. ) was from a referral from a fitter where the carpet was only thing holding the stairs to the loft up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pfifes said:

And, I should also mention that the article states this lady had medical conditions.  This may make cleaning and maintaining the house more difficult.

Has she got a partner has she got children? If she has a serious medical condition she should be in a bungalow no stairs compact and easy to clean and get home help not living in squalor probly unemployed as well getting more in benefit than I earn so stop defending her and go round and mend her stairs 😉