Blood Pressure Check

1 hour ago, Lizzie b said:

Anyone any ideas on how I can relax whilst having my blood pressure checked at the doctors, as I suffer from hypertension and I have white coat syndrome too 

Im taking medication for high blood pressure at the moment so have to get checked every few weeks

I get an appointment first thing in the morning and I always get to the doctor 15 mins before my appointment so im not rushing

Also i dont have a coffee before my appointment

Then just clear your mind and take some deep breaths 

1 hour ago, Lizzie b said:

Anyone any ideas on how I can relax whilst having my blood pressure checked at the doctors, as I suffer from hypertension and I have white coat syndrome too 

Same Lizzie,  I have a wrist monitor.

2 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I hate to say this Cressida but the wrist ones are not thought to be as accurate if you believe Google.

My Samsung Galaxy watch is really accurate 

And now they are releasing a ring so combined they will be pretty much 100%

2 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I hate to say this Cressida but the wrist ones are not thought to be as accurate if you believe Google.

The surgery nurse said the same thing earlier this week Wallace.

It's not easy if you have a fear, or something triggers a stressful reaction.

I'd say the 'at home' way mentioned above. Also mentioned above, don't get stressed about results, or keep repeating them without good reason. I'm sure it will also say on the home ones, it's for guidance only.  If you feel there is a problem, give the NHS a call and get advice.

As @Zach Clay said, the new watch ones are fairly close. My nurse checked the 3 things my watch does. Not exactly the same, but very near. She said to use them as a guide, not a diagnosis.

• Like 2

I had the same sort of problem, only rather being susceptible to" White Coat "syndrome it was just my blood pressure is all over the place, we  have spent months and months trying to get it sorted, but it's still the same now, anyway I bought the same type of monitor that they use in the surgery " Omron " is the make, and they come at all prices. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=omron+blood+pressure+monitor&crid=18MRV8PEZ5EJR&sprefix=omron+%2Caps%2C70&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_6

If you do decide to buy your own, you really want one that remembers the readings.

I had mine taken on Monday,  then had a blood test on Wed'day,  then yesterday got a text to say I had an app'ment yesterday,  didn't see it until it was too late so phoned 

to explain why it was missed,  another text to go into a hospital for something else next week - no wonder I've got hypertension.

Never have your blood pressure taken if not relaxed. For instance you may have walked up a hill or quite away from the docs. Try and get to the GPs early so you can sit down in the waiting room and relax first.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lizzie b said:

I’m the same Lizzie. I’m dreadful if my GP takes my blood pressure. Fortunately, they are happy for me to supply readings from my home machine. I do a diary every few months, two readings a day, for a week. Then I email that to the surgery.

You can buy a machine for about 20 quid.