New Bus Gate Planned For Furnival Gate (Between Matilda Way And The Moor)

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

So more cyclists muscling in on our pedestrian space then. But hey, who are we kidding, it's not as if the pavements in the city centre aren't over run with Deliveroo & Just Eat riders on electric bikes anyway. Why not add more in to the mix? 🤪

'Overrun' is a bit of an exaggeration. They really aren't.

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

'Overrun' is a bit of an exaggeration. They really aren't.

When did you last walk up Westfield Terrace? I have done so several times this year and I can say that there is a problem with cyclists on the pavement. Last Wednesday night, there was an alteration on West Street between an erronous cyclist on the pavement and a pedestrian. Strong words were exchanged.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

When did you last walk up Westfield Terrace? I have done so several times this year and I can say that there is a problem with cyclists on the pavement. Last Wednesday night, there was an alteration on West Street between an erronous cyclist on the pavement and a pedestrian. Strong words were exchanged.

There are more altercations between just pedestrians than any involving cyclists.... especially on West Street (and not always just "strong words exchanged").

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

There are more altercations between just pedestrians than any involving cyclists.... especially on West Street (and not always just "strong words exchanged").

Yes, we are all aware of the cess pit that West Street has become. But that doesn't negate from the fact that there is a problem with electric bikes on pavements, mainly delivery couriers and that the council are yet again taking away our pavement space for cyclists.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Yes, we are all aware of the cess pit that West Street has become. But that doesn't negate from the fact that there is a problem with electric bikes on pavements, mainly delivery couriers and that the council are yet again taking away our pavement space for cyclists.

The council are actually widening pavement space for pedestrians in this new scheme and segregating cycle lanes to some extent (but, don't let facts get in the way of a moan).

My issue was with them now having to cross over each other at the top of Charles Street on to Pinstone Street. That's the only issue I have with it (other than the sad retraction from the previous plans for the Furnival Gate roundabout). 

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Don't see exactly what that will achieve on Furnival Gate - but the Council knows best, apparently.

Stops the rat running from Park Square to Hanover Way. Forces everything onto the ring road.

However, you will still be able to use Arundel Gate > Eyre Street. However, the Bramall Lane roundabout is erm, interesting to get onto from Eyre Street at the best of times shall we say. Probably the reason why most folk tend to turn up Furnival Gate and Charter Row.

• Like 1

I'm not sure huge numbers of private motorists really use that west-bound route much anymore, which might beg the question 'how badly is the bus gate needed?', but also it's not going to impact many people and will leave it as a protected lane for buses & taxis.

Access to Matilda Way is maintained for the NCP car park and other properties around the back of The Moor there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

There's no obligation in law for cyclists to absolutely use cycle lanes, and indeed, the highway code leaves it up to the cyclist's discretion on their safety and the safety of those around them.

• Like 1