New Bus Gate Planned For Furnival Gate (Between Matilda Way And The Moor)

7 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Imagine driving along an A road that gives way (stops) at every side road...

You say "between Brighton and Lewes", which sounds great, but this cycle route doesn't reach either Brighton or Lewes.

Instead, it runs between Firle, and the outskirts of Polegate - with little more than a few small villages in-between.

It's not a significant route, we can't expect significant numbers to use it.

And as predicted, it's shared use, and bi-directional, and too narrow.

It doesn't go anywhere, and it's not built to the recognised standards.

I didn't say it ran the full length between those points - it would be difficult anyway.

I don't think I've seen anyone use it - but I have seen cyclists on the (narrow) road it runs parallel to.

It is shared use, although the pedestrians I have seen tend to use the footpaths - where they exist - along its route.

I assume it was requested, otherwise why was it built at great expense?

You can confirm, with evidence, that it is not built to the required standards?

42 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Not sure how you reckon that - why would a bus gate on Furnival Gate affect those areas? 

Because if people want to get from Park Square to Charter Row or vice versa, they will need to go all the way around.

Heres an idea

Motorists start paying for the use of concrete & tarmac levelled pathways 

we could call it road tax and use the money to keep it maintained & provide a safe environment for hurtling 2 tonne lumps of steel around within a few foot of each other 

…..”cue sheffield forum old fogey brigade”

bb…bb.. ban cars for driving so close to pavements & opposite approaching cars…ss..ss… s.ss…s omebody could end up injured if a car hits another 

“Old fogeys chant”…..

We deserve more buses & trams… i want to sit next to a welfare stinking scruff on my way to work, it’ll stop congestion and save the planet 

think of the hedgehogs breathing diesel fumes 

save everything else at the cost of my own pleasure 

earths not a simulation it was hand built by a bearded man that quarried the silica from mines using nothing but a shovel 

… Sheffield forum mentality is tomorrows problem 

21 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

All the bus gate will do is make Sheaf Street, Suffolk Road, Saint Mary's Road, Broad Lane and Snig Hill busier. 

All the bus gate will do is redirect the traffic that would have gone up  Furnival Gate and down Charter Row. This traffic will now carry on down Eyre Street and onto St Mary's Gate to meet up again at the Moore St roundabout.

In the other direction nothing will change 

1 minute ago, mad-dad said:

All the bus gate will do is redirect the traffic that would have gone up  Furnival Gate and down Charter Row. This traffic will now carry on down Eyre Street and onto St Mary's Gate to meet up again at the Moore St roundabout.

In the other direction nothing will change 

Thus making Eyre Street /St. Marys Gate even more clogged up - sounds sensible to me.😂

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Thus making Eyre Street /St. Marys Gate even more clogged up - sounds sensible to me.😂

Just pointing out that it will not directly affect "Sheaf Street, Suffolk Road, Broad Lane and Snig Hill" as quote in the post I responded to 

1 minute ago, mad-dad said:

Just pointing out that it will not directly affect "Sheaf Street, Suffolk Road, Broad Lane and Snig Hill" as quote in the post I responded to 

Apologies - it's just my total frustration with SCC's 'traffic planning', and I understand what you meant.