Birmingham Teacher Who Called 'Westernised Girls Lunatics' Is Sacked For .

3 minutes ago, redruby said:

Aye, but what about MAMILs (often seen on a bicycle in the Peak District on Sundays). 

more practical than fashionable, i heard they keep a fresh pair of socks tucked in, to replace those sweaty pair they been riding in all day.

MAMILs are only one up from mankinis 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, redruby said:

I remember white leggings first time around in the 80s.  They were horrible then and still are in my personal opinion.  But if others like them , so what? It’s  got nothing to with modesty and controlling what women wear whilst men don’t have to worry about this.  For heaven’s sake, mini skirts were all the rage in the 1960s!!  It’s not a modern phenomenon for girls to follow fashion!!

No one said white leggings, very rarely see white, black and seems multi coloured are trendy now.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

No one said white leggings, very rarely see white, black and seems multi coloured are trendy now.

White leggings are still awful though (for looking horrible not being un-modest).  Apparently they are back in fashion!! 

14 hours ago, redruby said:

No it isn’t.  For a start, I don’t think I have honestly, ever, heard anyone say the word ‘modest’ in reference to men’s dress (whether in preference of as a requirement).  Ever!!

Furthermore, what does ‘modest’ mean?  I understand you are a Muslim.  Well I am old enough to remember when the Asian girls around Sheffield used to wear traditional clothes but did not cover their heads.  I only saw elderly ladies with headscarves.  This was the 1980’s.  Now I’m not saying it is right or wrong, the only point I’m making is that the definition of modest has changed in that community over that period  and head covering is a now a preference for many women.  It may be a requirement for some, I don’t know. 
Before it’s pointed out, I  am aware there are some requirements for Muslim men to cover certain areas (naval to knees I believe) but other than going to a nudist camp or swimming in budgie smugglers, it’s not going to be too tricky to fall foul of that requirement.  Unlike women who have to deal with the so called ‘morality police’ in Iran if a headscarf is out of place.  
But this isn’t just about religion.  Your example about how women might say they prefer ‘tall, dark, handsome men’ is about PHYSICAL characteristics not their clothing!!  And if you think a woman saying something like ‘I prefer men who wear blue’ or  similar is the equivalent you are wrong.  Personally, I don’t like cropped tops but I don’t for a minute think it’s appropriate to say women shouldn’t wear them because they are not modest. Or I prefer women to cover up. Or that women who wear them are ‘asking for it’ if they are sexually harassed or worse. Where’s the equivalent of that for men??!!

I agree men can’t dictate what women wear and if a guy doesn’t like women who dress scantily then they are obviously going to choose a woman who doesn’t dress scantily.

The point I was making is I don’t see any wrong if a man says he prefers modesty dressed women but sometimes a point doesn’t come across clearly.

My daughter is 15 and of mixed White English and Pakistani heritage. She wears make up and dresses in western clothes but doesn’t show legs or skin ie midriff and doesn’t cover her head either.

She is aware we are moderate Muslims  and has always dressed modestly by her own accord.

Only time I had a word was when I saw her with bright red lipstick on just before going to school and I said I don’t think it was appropriate and that school is for education and not a beauty pageant.

I agree about leggings, especially the ones where they are like semi see through and you have to avert your eyes when walking behind because you can see the skin through them!!!

8 hours ago, mafya said:

I agree men can’t dictate what women wear and if a guy doesn’t like women who dress scantily then they are obviously going to choose a woman who doesn’t dress scantily.

The point I was making is I don’t see any wrong if a man says he prefers modesty dressed women but sometimes a point doesn’t come across clearly.

My daughter is 15 and of mixed White English and Pakistani heritage. She wears make up and dresses in western clothes but doesn’t show legs or skin ie midriff and doesn’t cover her head either.

She is aware we are moderate Muslims  and has always dressed modestly by her own accord.

Only time I had a word was when I saw her with bright red lipstick on just before going to school and I said I don’t think it was appropriate and that school is for education and not a beauty pageant.

I agree about leggings, especially the ones where they are like semi see through and you have to avert your eyes when walking behind because you can see the skin through them!!!

I see where you’re coming from but there’s still this discussion about the word ‘modesty’ that appears only to apply to women. It doesn’t seem to apply to men (or only in a very limited way).  
My personal view is the roots of this are in patriarchy and women being considered the property of men.  
We wouldn’t tolerate people saying on a public forum that they prefer brown skinned people to cover up their bodies and they should be ‘modest’. That would be considered highly offensive and racist and rightly so.  So why are still having this discussion about women dressing modestly?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, redruby said:

I see where you’re coming from but there’s still this discussion about the word ‘modesty’ that appears only to apply to women. It doesn’t seem to apply to men (or only in a very limited way).  
My personal view is the roots of this are in patriarchy and women being considered the property of men.  
We wouldn’t tolerate people saying on a public forum that they prefer brown skinned people to cover up their bodies and they should be ‘modest’. That would be considered highly offensive and racist and rightly so.  So why are still having this discussion about women dressing modestly?

You will be pleased to know, I rarely take my top off. Many other Englishmen behave the same, even though we are low on vitamin D