Iranian Terrorism

The Met are keeping quiet about the 3 attackers that stabbed the Iranian journalist. I thought we lived in an open democratic country?

I wonder if the PM is leaning on the police to quieten things down.

When the Russians attempted to kill with plutonium, it was a main news story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-58637572

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68717210

Probably because they are still investigating. From your Beeb link:

"We have established that after abandoning the vehicle, the suspects travelled to Heathrow Airport and have left the UK," Cdr Murphy said in an update.

"We are now working with international partners to establish further details."

He added the Met was not yet able to provide further information about any motive, but Mr Zeraati's occupation, coupled with recent threats towards UK-based Iranian journalists, meant the investigation continued to be led by counter-terrorism officers.

Your Beeb article is, at the time of writing, from 1 hour ago and it was reported on the Beeb's lunch time news, so it's not like it's going unreported by mainstream media.

Why do you think the PM would want the police to limit what information they release (beyond what they would for operational reasons anyway)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, altus said:

Your Beeb article is, at the time of writing, from 1 hour ago and it was reported on the Beeb's lunch time news, so it's not like it's going unreported by mainstream media.

Why do you think the PM would want the police to limit what information they release (beyond what they would for operational reasons anyway)?

If they know they left from the airport, surely they know which flight and where to.

But they are not telling us.

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

If they know they left from the airport, surely they know which flight and where to.

But they are not telling us.

Do you think the attackers would have flown directly to Tehran, possibly having to wait hours until the plane left and risking getting caught. Or perhaps they took the first plane leaving to a very common destination, drove a car across a border into another country, then took a plane to a country near Iran and are making their way from there - all to hide their origins.

It's not difficult to see why the police aren't releasing the attackers' final destination - they might not even have got there yet. Everything else comes under 'operational details' - they don't want to give potentially still fleeing suspects a tip off of how close they might be to being caught.

Again - why do you think the PM would want the police to limit what information they release (beyond what they would for operational reasons anyway)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, altus said:

If they dont know exactly where they have gone, surely they would release the details of the attackers, if you see these men, please get in touch and do no confront them.

Such as - "Police have issued a renewed appeal for witnesses ...."

https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news-appeals/update-appeal-after-serious-collision-long-lee-lane-keighley

1 hour ago, altus said:

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

If they dont know exactly where they have gone, surely they would release the details of the attackers, if you see these men, please get in touch and do no confront them.

Such as - "Police have issued a renewed appeal for witnesses ...."

https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news-appeals/update-appeal-after-serious-collision-long-lee-lane-keighley

According to the reports I've read, it's been passed to Counter Terrorism, so I really wouldn't be expecting them to provide a detailed briefing on international security matters.
Also, it seems that the three assailants (+ one other??) have been identified and left the country via Heathrow.
I only had a quick look, but it doesn't look like there are any direct flights from London to Iran, so one must presume that Counter Terrorism will be working with various foreign agencies.

We must hope that Brexit bureaucracy  with Europol doesn't get in the way of tracking them down if they were heading for an EU destination.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

If the Police have no idea who or where they are and if they still were in this country, maybe. If they are following active leads, probably not and, as peak4 says, there is an international element to this now.

I note you still haven't answered my question - why do you think the PM would want the police to limit what information they release (beyond what they would for operational reasons anyway)?

4 minutes ago, altus said:

If the Police have no idea who or where they are and if they still were in this country, maybe. If they are following active leads, probably not and, as peak4 says, there is an international element to this now.

I note you still haven't answered my question - why do you think the PM would want the police to limit what information they release (beyond what they would for operational reasons anyway)?

They were seen at Heathrow hours after the incident.