Causes Of Death In London, 1632

I bet plenty died due to the lack of sanitation. 

Give Thames Water a few more years and we'll have the bubonic plague, typhoid and dysentry back with a vengance.

Oddly, I came across this graphic earlier today on Twitter, in a 2021 post by Meaghan Kall, I wonder if it's doing the rounds again for some reason.
She posted it pointing out that many of these causes of death hardly exist these days, mainly due to vaccines and antibiotics.

The follow-on from this was that I also found this link, explaining many of the disease descriptions
https://mylittlebird.com/2021/03/public-health-stats-on-disease-in-1600s-london/

Public Health Stats on Disease in 1600s London

e.g. Rising of the Lights
A popular listing, Rising of the Lights referred to “literally coughing your lungs up,” because lights was a familiar name for lungs, considered lightweight organs when referring to edible organ meats, in this case haggis. The diagnosis covered croup, pneumonia and any illness characterized by a hoarse cough or choking sensation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1