Sheffield Homelessness At All-Time High

8 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

True. The Salvation Army are really struggling to cope so are food banks no financial help from the government just relying on donations which are getting less. 

Yes, it's really sad that food banks are needed. Access to food should be a right, just like it is in France where everyone has the right to fresh bread. I run a catering business and we donate what we can to the food banks and also support The Salvation Army and other night shelters where we can.  I went to Lakeside Village the other day and the foodbank donation pod was empty, and this was towards the end of the day so not as if it had just been put there. 

4 hours ago, redruby said:

At the end of the day though, you are basically saying ‘more houses should be built’.  That is fine, but if the population keeps growing we will then to build more. And more. And more.  It’s very easy to start sitting on a high horse and crying racism if immigration is mentioned but it really doesn’t matter where people are from, they are people and need somewhere to live.  Those that say there is plenty of room have a completely reckless disregard of the environment.  Freeing up empty properties and restricting second homes would help a little but it’s enough to solve this alone. Let’s just take one example to illustrate this.  Flooding.  If we keep building on greenfield sites, there will be more flooding.  Building on floodplains is madness but it keeps happening.  But building on any greenfield site will make an area more vulnerable to flooding. And it’s not just the houses, it’s the new roads that would need to be built.  Are people really so oblivious to the environment? The fact that more people could, in theory be accommodated,  does not mean it is sensible to do so. And there will always be a tipping point when we actually become ‘full’.  It is far from sensible to consider reaching this point as a target rather than something to be avoided.    Your descendants won’t thank you.

Perhaps some people haven’t noticed how much more crowded public transport and the roads are compared to 20-25 years ago? Between mid-1996 and mid-2021, the population grew by 8.9 million (15.3%).  I just find it mind blowing that people think it’s sustainable to continue at this rate without dire consequences.  

You’re having a different argument though.

Nobody in the sector is saying immigration is a significant factor in homelessness, especially in Sheffield.

That argument has come only in this one thread by people conflating the issues.

If you want to debate immigration, feel free… in another thread about immigration. This thread is (should have been) specifically about homelessness increases in Sheffield (where absolutely nobody in the know is saying immigration is a factor in that increase).

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

Nobody in the sector is saying immigration is a significant factor in homelessness, especially in Sheffield.

I am saying it is. More migrants equals more people needing jobs = less jobs for British people = less money for British people = problems paying mortgages and rent for British people. 

More migrants = more social housing occupied = elongated waiting times for housing on the council. 

6 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am saying it is. More migrants equals more people needing jobs = less jobs for British people = less money for British people = problems paying mortgages and rent for British people. 

More migrants = more social housing occupied = elongated waiting times for housing on the council. 

You’re not an expert in the sector.

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

You’re not an expert in the sector.

I don't need to be to have an opinion on the subject. It's my tax money funding the hotels for boat dwellers etc. MPs such as Nigel Farage, who is an expert have said the same as me, we need to stop immigration for the good of our people.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I don't need to be to have an opinion on the subject. It's my tax money funding the hotels for boat dwellers etc. MPs such as Nigel Farage, who is an expert have said the same as me, we need to stop immigration for the good of our people.

And, again, that’s a conversation for another thread about immigration.

(And Farage is no expert 🤣).

21 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

You’re having a different argument though.

That argument has come only in this one thread by people conflating the issues.

If you want to debate immigration, feel free… in another thread about immigration. This thread is (should have been) specifically about homelessness increases in Sheffield (where absolutely nobody in the know is saying immigration is a factor in that increase).

There are to many people chasing housing and  .medical treatment.  It's not rocket science it's fact .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

It really isn't. There is a correlation between immigration and homelessness. Britain is a small island. We are full.

• Like 2

One of the main reasons there is a lack of rental accommodation is that the government in their wisdom are making being a landlord more and more of a PITA.

And it'll get even worse when Labour come to power as they are going top tilt the balance of power even further in favour of the tenant, introduce yearly property MOTs and probably raise the minimum EPC rating still further so many older properties will be removed from the rental market.

9 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

He's not an MP either