Sheffield Homelessness At All-Time High

44 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

You’re having a different argument though.

Nobody in the sector is saying immigration is a significant factor in homelessness, especially in Sheffield.

That argument has come only in this one thread by people conflating the issues.

If you want to debate immigration, feel free… in another thread about immigration. This thread is (should have been) specifically about homelessness increases in Sheffield (where absolutely nobody in the know is saying immigration is a factor in that increase).

Why are you telling people what they can and cannot discuss?  Of course the post was relevant, more people = less housing all round. You have told me off before saying "Post this in another thread", for something that was entirely relevant to the thread. It is a sad sight to see but I think the forum is  heading the way of the old Sheffield Forum and if it is then please feel free to ban me off it because a Forum that will not allow people to express what they think is no use to me and it will be heading the same way as the old forum. I sincerely hope I am wrong though and that is not what is happening.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Why are you telling people what they can and cannot discuss?  Of course the post was relevant, more people = less housing all round. You have told me off before saying "Post this in another thread", for something that was entirely relevant to the thread. It is a sad sight to see but I think the forum is  heading the way of the old Sheffield Forum and if it is then please feel free to ban me off it because a Forum that will not allow people to express what they think is no use to me and it will be heading the same way as the old forum. I sincerely hope I am wrong though and that is not what is happening.

I'm not telling. I'm suggesting.

Different topics need different threads. There's a wider (and national rather than local) issue of immigration that could be discussed in the round and let this thread focus on the real local issues behind a stark increase in homelessness locally. I've pointed out where nobody in the know is saying that the recent increase in homelessness is due to immigration.

4 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I'm not telling. I'm suggesting.

Different topics need different threads. There's a wider (and national rather than local) issue of immigration that could be discussed in the round and let this thread focus on the real local issues behind a stark increase in homelessness locally. I've pointed out where nobody in the know is saying that the recent increase in homelessness is due to immigration.

Because it is the elephant in the room.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HairFarceOne said:

And yet my post #32 would say it really isn't.

Yes that doesn’t help and neither does unlimited immigration.  Neither does pulling down hundreds of council houses and not replacing them . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

Absolutely.  But to be clear and avoid upsetting people I want to say that my main concern is around rapid population increase.  I’m not anti immigration (there are many positives) but rapid population increase  (of which immigration is not insignificant) does mean we need more houses.  How could it not? And scarcity of housing will lead to more homelessness.  I think some people are confusing direct causes of homelessness (e.g. mental health issues/addiction problems) with indirect ones such as pressures on the housing market through lack of affordable housing. The most vulnerable in society suffer the most unfortunately due to this and numbers of people becoming vulnerable increase due to poverty and lack of housing.  So unfortunately more end up with poor mental health and addictions leading to homelessness.  The direct causes of homelessness do not exon isolation and you can’t separate these out from wider issues with housing shortages.  It really is absurd that we are apparently we not supposed to discuss the broader issues.  

• Like 2

Interesting topic but what is not emphatically clear is whether these current ‘homeless’ are there because they can’t afford to buy/ rent or because there is a city wide shortage of social type housing….. it seems most are saying the latter?

in which case please discuss the impact on availability by the 67000 ish students  who now attend our 2 universities? There are around 10000 ‘foreign’ students and all require accommodation but not for a 12 months period 

ok some live in residences but a large part rent stock housing or so called apartments. This surely removes those from being available to the aforementioned homeless 

what’s the answer ? Well maybe scc should stop had out planning approvals to yet more student housing and instead concentrate on the alleged 4000 homeless?

in the words of mr Bassett discuss please!

Knocking students is such a regressive thing. 

What would Sheffield be with out the Universitys,Rotherham.

The University has a bigger budget than the council.

Apart from 3 London Universitys the students here put more money into the economy than any other UK city, this was a couple of years back but I dare say is still broadly true

2 hours ago, Man in Crete said:

Interesting topic but what is not emphatically clear is whether these current ‘homeless’ are there because they can’t afford to buy/ rent or because there is a city wide shortage of social type housing….. it seems most are saying the latter?

in which case please discuss the impact on availability by the 67000 ish students  who now attend our 2 universities? There are around 10000 ‘foreign’ students and all require accommodation but not for a 12 months period 

ok some live in residences but a large part rent stock housing or so called apartments. This surely removes those from being available to the aforementioned homeless 

what’s the answer ? Well maybe scc should stop had out planning approvals to yet more student housing and instead concentrate on the alleged 4000 homeless?

in the words of mr Bassett discuss please!

It is both.

As regards students, the income they bring to city is huge!  Part of this is their accommodation costs.  Losing that would have a devastating effect.

The type of housing this thread is mostly concerned with is social housing not student flats.   

• Like 1

More houses need to be built, there is space in Loxley Valley, loads of space near ringinglow and that side of Sheffield, you could have many more houses built if space was freed up.

If you had one dog with one kennel, then that is fine.  If you buy another dog then common sense says you need to buy another kennel, if you have another dog you need another kennel.

3 dogs cannot be expected to live in one kennel, it is the same with humans

If more people are livinig in Sheffield then Sheffield needs more houses, so get the bulldozers out, take out vast chunks of the green belt, ignore local concerns and get building the houses needed