Breakdown Cover . And Renewal

I moved to Green Flag as my Breakdown Provider some years ago after the AA & RAC were getting ridiculously expensive and taking the 'p' with renewal quotes.
I have been happy with Green Flag but have noticed that their rates have also been creeping up (although still half the cost of the big boys).
Recently I got my renewal quote wanting £111 for the year (up from £95).
I parked it for a while and looked around for alternative prices. Considerably cheaper is out there, but often with excesses and other charges.
I forgot about it and then the nudging letter came.
By the time I got round to it again, today, my policy had lapsed and the 'renew' option had gone so I was resigned to getting a new quote and expecting it to be higher.

Went on today and beggar me if I haven't got exactly the same cover for £67 ... still with Green Flag!!
No dragged-out phone call with the "valued customer/we'll see what we can do". Just a simple online quote and purchase.

Every day is a school day. 👍

• Like 1

It's absurd, isn't it?

I know some industries are starting to be regulated on price differences for new customers like this. Hopefully, breakdown cover becomes one of those!

As a tip: it is worth checking your bank account if you have a paid one. Often, full breakdown cover (usually The AA) is included as one of the benefits. Combined with other benefits you might be able to get through it, such as worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance, etc., it could be worth looking into a packaged bank account rather than paying a recovery service directly (if you think you’ll utilise enough of the benefits, of course).

21 minutes ago, ThePilot said:

I moved to Green Flag as my Breakdown Provider some years ago after the AA & RAC were getting ridiculously expensive and taking the 'p' with renewal quotes.
I have been happy with Green Flag but have noticed that their rates have also been creeping up (although still half the cost of the big boys).
I parked it for a while and looked around for alternative prices. Considerably cheaper is out there, but often with excesses and other charges.
By the time I got round to it again, today, my policy had lapsed and the 'renew' option had gone so I was resigned to getting a new quote and expecting it to be higher.

Went on today and beggar me if I haven't got exactly the same cover for £67 ... still with Green Flag!!
No dragged-out phone call with the "valued customer/we'll see what we can do". Just a simple online quote and purchase.

I don’t have a car any more, but for the last few years of owning one I had recovery insurance with Startrescue, online via an app. Very cheap for full cover including home start and the only time I needed their services they were out to me in under an hour. I doubt I’ll be getting another car but would use Startrescue without hesitation.

45 minutes ago, ThePilot said:

I did the exact same.   I tried to ring up and  get a reduction because I only wanted cover for one vehicle this year but failed to get anywhere.

Another tip is to make sure there is no automatic renewal on the policy. 

27 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

I don’t have a car any more, but for the last few years of owning one I had recovery insurance with Startrescue, online via an app. Very cheap for full cover including home start and the only time I needed their services they were out to me in under an hour. I doubt I’ll be getting another car but would use Startrescue without hesitation.

Thank you.
Just had a quick look and they offer same level of cover at £54
Tempted to do a quick cancel!

Sons car broke down on Friday,  steering fault,  he had to drive into a hedge,  needs brakes checked as we,  car has been

picked up,  Shanks's Pony. 

50 minutes ago, ThePilot said:

Thank you.
Just had a quick look and they offer same level of cover at £54
Tempted to do a quick cancel!

Yep. As I said it’s all inclusive if you want. But there are different levels of cover. Being a mechanical idiot home start being included was worth it for me.

I’ve never seen their own vans on the road, I guess they get a local firm close to where you need assistance, much like Green Flag do.

The recommendations from Which magazine say a lot also.

5 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Yep. As I said it’s all inclusive if you want. But there are different levels of cover. Being a mechanical idiot home start being included was worth it for me.

I’ve never seen their own vans on the road, I guess they get a local firm close to where you need assistance, much like Green Flag do.

The recommendations from Which magazine say a lot also.

Green Flag do rely on local firms to carry out their assistance.  Most of these local firms will also have contracts with the AA.  I was with the AA for over 30 years and received £500 when they were bought out by another company.  I decided to choose Green Flag because they are roughly half the price for cover than the AA.   I rarely ever breakdown in a vehicle so if it does happen and it takes the Green Flag longer than it would have done with the AA to assist me then it is not a big problem. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Axe said:

Green Flag do rely on local firms to carry out their assistance.  Most of these local firms will also have contracts with the AA.  I was with the AA for over 30 years and received £500 when they were bought out by another company.  I decided to choose Green Flag because they are roughly half the price for cover than the AA.   I rarely ever breakdown in a vehicle so if it does happen and it takes the Green Flag longer than it would have done with the AA to assist me then it is not a big problem. 

Do yourself a favour. When it comes to renewal time have a look see what price Startrescue will quote you.

36 minutes ago, Axe said:

Tha What???

I've been a member 42 years, where's my 500 quid?