52a Bus To Wisewood And Loxley

It seems the 52a is finally going to be extended to Wisewood and Loxley after being drastically cut two years ago after many compliants, quite rightly  so.

However, looking  at the new timetables from 7 April it still won't be running in the evenings and on Sundays. The only difference will be from the 32 bus is that it will run every half hour instead of every hour.

People without cars who live in these areas or visiting still have no service on Sundays and evenings like other First bus routes have. How is this fair?

Thanks for this info Retro Queen. It's good to hear that at least some sort of service will be restored to the 52A bus and that the 32 bus will run every half an hour, instead just hourly. I agree with you that it's not fair that there will still be no evening or Sunday services. I think buses should be run as a service, not just for profit, but these privately run bus companies are only interested in running routes that make them money

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I think buses should be run as a service, not just for profit, but these privately run bus companies are only interested in running routes that make them money

Well private companies operate buses, they exist to make a profit, if nobody want to subsidise them what makes you think they should run services to make a loss? Because thats what you are asking them to do.

52 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Thanks for this info Retro Queen. It's good to hear that at least some sort of service will be restored to the 52A bus and that the 32 bus will run every half an hour, instead just hourly. I agree with you that it's not fair that there will still be no evening or Sunday services. I think buses should be run as a service, not just for profit, but these privately run bus companies are only interested in running routes that make them money

The 52a is replacing the 32 bus I think.

17 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@HeHasRisenOr maybe some people think a 'bus service' should run - even if no-one uses it? Therefore wasting fuel (be it diesel or electric) to no benefit?

The 52a has been put back on at Wisewood and Loxley due to demand because its not fair that a whole community are left without a viable bus service. Obviously someone has listed to a degree and put it back on. Not everyone has cars and can afford taxis. How are people supposed to get to work, shops, medical appointments etc. Buses ran OK before they were privatised.

The bus has always been well used going from town and Hillsborough to Wisewood as I have seen this for myself.

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@HeHasRisenOr maybe some people think a 'bus service' should run - even if no-one uses it? Therefore wasting fuel (be it diesel or electric) to no benefit?

Well yes. Its not a realistic position to take is it?

I recall at some point in recent history a service that got binned that only had on average 1 person per bus on it had a petition with three thousand signatures on it. Where were these 3000 people when the service was operating?

1 minute ago, Retro Queen said:

People were using them. I guess you think everyone in this area has cars and can afford taxis.

No more than the assumption made by one of our esteemed councillors that everyone at the other end of town was in the same position, so didn't need a bus service.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes. Its not a realistic position to take is it?

I recall at some point in recent history a service that got binned that only had on average 1 person per bus on it had a petition with three thousand signatures on it. Where were these 3000 people when the service was operating?

No, it isn't a realistic position to take, but seems to be one ingrained in some.

I recall that incident too - but see comment above.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, thatcher “deregulated” bus services back in 1986, and turned them from public services into private services. Just like any other private enterprise it either turns a profit or gets the chop. Simples.