Will Pensioners Get A Better Deal Under Labour?

9 minutes ago, cressida said:

I know you're being sarcastic,  what I meant was has anyone read anything.😊

No need to read owt!  When the Knight in shining armour Sir Change-alot takes over, everyone will get a fair deal not just the wealthy. :roll:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

No need to read owt!  When the Knight in shining armour Sir Change-alot takes over, everyone will get a fair deal not just the wealthy. :roll:

Thank you Sir Oracle😃

3 hours ago, cressida said:

Has Sir Keir promised pensioners a better deal,  UK pensioners are reported to have the lowest pensions in Europe?

I doubt it. I'm certainly not holding my breath...

What is annoying me is the gap that is growing between pensioners post 2016 who are on the new rate (I missed it by 3 months) and older pensioners still on the pathetic old rate.

According to the local luchtime news that will be getting on for £40 to £50 per week. Add to that the poorer works pension provision for older women and that is going to make quite a big difference. And while ever things are decided by percentages, (8% of less money is going to be a lot less than the high rate increase) the gap is going to get ever wider...  

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

I doubt it. I'm certainly not holding my breath...

What is annoying me is the gap that is growing between pensioners post 2016 who are on the new rate (I missed it by 3 months) and older pensioners still on the pathetic old rate.

According to the local luchtime news that will be getting on for £40 to £50 per week. Add to that the poorer works pension provision for older women and that is going to make quite a big difference. And while ever things are decided by percentages, (8% of less money is going to be a lot less than the high rate increase) the gap is going to get ever wider...  

Useful article here;

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/08/uk-state-pensions-benefits-changes-april-triple-lock-rise

Perhaps most useful to people on the older, lower pension , who may be entitled to additional benefits?

3 hours ago, Longcol said:

Useful article here;

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/08/uk-state-pensions-benefits-changes-april-triple-lock-rise

Perhaps most useful to people on the older, lower pension , who may be entitled to additional benefits?

Thankyou for that. Unfortunately, my works pension brings me up to just over the limit where I can claim pension credit, and that means I'm not eligible for any other subsiduary benefits either. I would have been better off without a works pension at all. 

That's in spite of having to work an extra 3 years to claim the state pension. All told I will be nearly £40,000 out of pocket if I claim the pension untill I'm 80, more if I go beyond that. 

I remember David Cameron declaring that nobody would be worse off on the old rate.

He lied.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

That's in spite of having to work an extra 3 years to claim the state pension. All told I will be nearly £40,000 out of pocket if I claim the pension untill I'm 80, more if I go beyond that.  I remember David Cameron declaring that nobody would be worse off on the old rate.

He lied.

But not to age 67/68 - so you worked fewer years than some men and got the same pension, look on the bright side?

You wanted equality?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

But not to age 67/68 - so you worked fewer years than some men and got the same pension, look on the bright side?

You wanted equality?

OK. You have a point.

However IMO women still don't have equality, especially if you started work at 15 in the 60s.

I also think the way the pension age is creeping up is ridiculous. Not all of us are living longer, or capable of work at that age.  But it's up to the younger generations to protest /get it changed. I've done my share of banner waving in my time, but I've now put my pitchfork at the back of the cupboard.