Donald Wellwood Cowan

14 hours ago, lobster said:

Edward Wellwood b 1899 Keighley lived there till 1938 with the death of 1st wife grace - died Sheffeld 1971 . Does not appear to be a connection

True, but with such an unusual name we can't rule him out...my wife's grandfather was born in Sheffield in 1927 to a milkman ( big round ?) from Shipley, there is nothing in the records that place my wife's grandmother in Shipley, or the father in Sheffield at any time, but it is factual.

Unless there is a known family connection to the name Wellwood, I would agree that your earlier suggestion to the OP of going down the Ancestry Dna route is the only one that might produce results. There are a number of trees on Ancestry with him in, hopefully someone related has done the test that could at least give the OP a chance of writing off Wellwood...or perhaps even showing a reasonably close match to someone currently unknown.