Democracy - Good Or Bad?

The UK is the greatest country in the World to be born in and live in because of the freedoms democracy brings.

However,  China will soon be the most powerful country in the World because of its powerful  military and economic global influence obtained because it is not a democracy. 

Democracy  -  Good or Bad  .............    opinions 

1 hour ago, Axe said:

It depends on your goals as a country.

If you want to dominate and dabble your hand in everyones business then the China route is the way to go.

You could also say that the USA is doing just that as a democracy, however on paper the USA is not a true democracy and they've managed to paint a huge target on themselves by doing it in a more militaristic way, whereas China is doing it in more of an economic way by making everyone reliant on them for products.

If you want your citizens to feel like they have freedom then go democracy, although I'm sure people in China would say that they have freedom too, it just depends on your definition.

Though it's not working out that way for us... we elected people into office who then imposed restrictions on people, whether it's "for our own good" or not... i.e. ULEZ, Scotlands hate crime law, smoking bans etc..

I'm going to hit submit now because I feel like I've gone off on a weird tangent 😂

It frustrates me that people vote so unwisely, but democracy is still preferable in my opinion. Nobody I've ever voted for has won any contest. Still I'm glad there's an occasional opportunity to get rid of the worst governments.

By the way, people in Switzerland and Scandinavian countries have more freedoms than we do in the UK. The UK is no longer the greatest country in the world by any measure of power or privilege.

• Like 2

Democracy - good

Choices  - good 

If you can't agree you can decide not to have either,  but don't get spiteful when others exercise their rights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Why are you even questioning it? 

Sadam Hussein was deposed because dictatorships are bad.

Because China is a large and powerful country, does not mean its population are happy, although wealth does not have to equal happiness. 

I have more material things compared to my father, but we could both be equally happy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Why are you even questioning it? 

Sadam Hussein was deposed because dictatorships are bad.

Because China is a large and powerful country, does not mean its population are happy, although wealth does not have to equal happiness. 

I have more material things compared to my father, but we could both be equally happy. 

He’s not questioning it . A well known troll on here asked him to start a thread on it . The troll has not posted .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Axe said:

The UK is the greatest country in the World to be born in and live in because of the freedoms democracy brings.

However,  China will soon be the most powerful country in the World because of its powerful  military and economic global influence obtained because it is not a democracy. 

Of course democracy is good - an illusion of democracy isn’t.

There’s been a concerted effort to change it to the latter over the last few years. Hopefully we can get it back on track.

Good and bad.

You will not find many folk in Eastern Europe over the age of 50 who think democracy has made their countries any better. 

More litter

More crime

More traffic

Less jobs

More fast food

Obesity on the rise

Less morals

Just some of the reasons I hear from the many individuals I know.

Edited by Al Bundy