Should We Phase Out Alcohol?

On 25/04/2024 at 14:25, Baz1 said:

Oh, so that makes it all ok then..😏

Well, it's the British who have a very bad reputation for abusing it. Especially when abroad.

Unfortunately, once again, those who behave themselves and drink reasonably are still tarred with the same brush.

On 16/04/2024 at 14:33, crookesey said:

Well pubs would suffer, as would brewers, distillery’s, vintners, off licences, supermarkets, restaurants and bars, not to mention the tax-man, IMHO it would be political suicide for any party stupid enough to endorse such a move. :loopy:

Slowly slowly catchee monkey how many pubs are left, I remember reading in I think it was a book called The Great Deception, "how can we get the British out of the pubs they'll never stand for it" well they've closed most of the pubs.

1 minute ago, retep said:

Slowly slowly catchee monkey how many pubs are left, I remember reading in I think it was a book called The Great Deception, "how can we get the British out of the pubs they'll never stand for it" well they've closed most of the pubs.

Who's the 'They / they've'? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Well, it's the British who have a very bad reputation for abusing it. Especially when abroad.

Unfortunately, once again, those who behave themselves and drink reasonably are still tarred with the same brush.

My bold

I'll give you that one but too counter it  with, well it's usually a stag or hen do or it's 2 weeks out of 52 & wherever I've been abroad in Europe, (outside of seeing English football fans causing mayhem on tv), I don't recall the local police or bar owners telling the British that they've had enough to drink. 

On the contrary, they are quite happy enough to keep taking the cash off the British until they've drunk themselves into a near coma. 

And it might surprise you that other Europeans, especially their youth, outside their own countries can get just as drunk & obnoxious as our lot. 

We've been to Cuba a couple of times & you want to see how the quiet Canadians & US  citizens can be lairy when let loose from their strict drinking laws back home. 

35 minutes ago, retep said:

Pubs have closed where their users have moved to pastures new, Attercliffe comes to mind, Dore hasn’t lost any of it’s three pubs, Totley has lost one of it’s five pubs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Pubs have closed where their users have moved to pastures new, Attercliffe comes to mind, Dore hasn’t lost any of it’s three pubs, Totley has lost one of it’s five pubs.

It is funny that pubs have closed but the likes of Abbeydale Road now has more bars, (I wouldn't call them pubs apart from the Broadfield), than it's ever had in its history. 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

It is funny that pubs have closed but the likes of Abbeydale Road now has more bars, (I wouldn't call them pubs apart from the Broadfield), than it's ever had in its history. 

It’s more of a population change, a lot younger clientele with different tastes.

16 minutes ago, crookesey said:

It’s more of a population change, a lot younger clientele with different tastes.

Well the youngster must also be loaded or not drink as much because myself & a few mates worked out if we were to have a pint, (the cheapest we could see at the time & this was a few months ago), in every pub from the Jaberwocky, (technically London Rd.) to the Broadfield, it cost someone in the region of £80.

It's a good run these days but expensive.  Not that we've done the full run. I'll wait till my numbers come up.  

Just now, Baron99 said:

Well the youngster must also be loaded or not drink as much because myself & a few mates worked out if we were to have a pint, (the cheapest we could see at the time & this was a few months ago), in every pub from the Jaberwocky, (technically London Rd.) to the Broadfield, it cost someone in the region of £80.

It's a good run these days but expensive.  Not that we've done the full run. I'll wait till my numbers come up.  

That's £80 per person for each full run. 

55 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Pubs have closed due to the price of a pint, cheaper in the supermarket, also notice the alcohol content in the supermarket has fallen,  slowly slowly.